JET HVM-1PFB Mill

Tug

Registered
Registered
Hello all!

New user & first post. I got involved in machining while earning my degree, but nothing really in depth. Recently, a gunsmith friend asked if he could put his old Craftsman 101 series lathe in my shop for his personal use. That was the beginning of the end. I had to have a mill. I got together with an old friend who is a retired a mold & tool maker for NASA & Boeing (experience counts), and we found this 1980 JET (Dah Lih) horizontal/vertical mill for about $4.5K.

HVM-1PFB.JPG

Only a couple thou backlash on all axis. We couldn't believe how new this thing seems. It is missing the horizontal arbor, but they're cheap online, and my old machinist buddy kinda wants to make me one.

It also came with a heap of tooling, and the actual original manual and QA inspection forms.

Collets.JPGEnd mills.JPGHorizontal cutters.JPGTail stock.JPGTroyke 12-1.JPGVise.JPGManual-1.JPGManual-2.JPGManual-3.JPGManual-4.JPG

I purchased an ETM NMTB 30 ER40 Chuck and collet set online, and have been given a mountain of blocks, end mills, gauges, taps, etc... from my buddy, bless his heart. The phase converter is on the way, so once I bet it into final position, and have 'er hooked up, I'll be making my first chips at home!

On a side note, how do you folks move things like 12" rotary tables around? The thing must weigh more than I do. Every time I haul it around my back aches for days.

HVM-1PFB.JPG Collets.JPG End mills.JPG Horizontal cutters.JPG Tail stock.JPG Troyke 12-1.JPG Vise.JPG Manual-1.JPG Manual-2.JPG Manual-3.JPG Manual-4.JPG

Dude!!!! That is a great score. Almost qualifies as gloat material. I use a small jib crane in my shop, or my overhead track system. I built a track from the rail that Tractor supply sells for sliding barn doors for my CNC table control and computer. a 12 inch rotary is a pretty hefty chunk of iron, so be extremely carefull when you attempt to move it. I would find a suitable rod that is long enough to go completely through it and use the jib crane to lift it and swing it out of the way. A cople of thou backlash is excelent and can probably be adjusted out with the gibs and lead screw adjustments too. Congrats on the great mill and some one is almost always available to help when you need it, so dont hesitate to chime in anytime. Welcome to the addiction, and making the arbor will be a great exercise for you to learn how much fun a mill can be. I am green with envy and jealous too.
Bob

Thanks, Bob.

I'm pretty stoked. I agree that making the arbor is a good start, and now I just need to come up with an idea cool enough to keep me motivated alongside all my other projects :) Maybe a single shot rifle ...

Hello all!

New user & first post. I got involved in machining while earning my degree, but nothing really in depth. Recently, a gunsmith friend asked if he could put his old Craftsman 101 series lathe in my shop for his personal use. That was the beginning of the end. I had to have a mill. I got together with an old friend who is a retired a mold & tool maker for NASA & Boeing (experience counts), and we found this 1980 JET (Dah Lih) horizontal/vertical mill for about $4.5K.

View attachment 53281

Only a couple thou backlash on all axis. We couldn't believe how new this thing seems. It is missing the horizontal arbor, but they're cheap online, and my old machinist buddy kinda wants to make me one.

It also came with a heap of tooling, and the actual original manual and QA inspection forms.

View attachment 53282View attachment 53283View attachment 53284View attachment 53285View attachment 53286View attachment 53287View attachment 53288View attachment 53289View attachment 53290View attachment 53291

I purchased an ETM NMTB 30 ER40 Chuck and collet set online, and have been given a mountain of blocks, end mills, gauges, taps, etc... from my buddy, bless his heart. The phase converter is on the way, so once I bet it into final position, and have 'er hooked up, I'll be making my first chips at home!

On a side note, how do you folks move things like 12" rotary tables around? The thing must weigh more than I do. Every time I haul it around my back aches for days.

View attachment 53281 View attachment 53282 View attachment 53283 View attachment 53284 View attachment 53285 View attachment 53286 View attachment 53287 View attachment 53288 View attachment 53289 View attachment 53290 View attachment 53291
I just recently pickup a HVM 1PFB mill and its a wiring mess. Id give up my wife for a copy of that manual if it has electrical
Let me know
Thanks

I just recently pickup a HVM 1PFB mill and its a wiring mess. Id give up my wife for a copy of that manual if it has electrical
Let me know
Thanks
Hello all!

View attachment 53281

View attachment 53282View attachment 53283View attachment 53284View attachment 53285View attachment 53286View attachment 53287View attachment 53288View attachment 53289View attachment 53290View attachment 53291

View attachment 53281 View attachment 53282 View attachment 53283 View attachment 53284 View attachment 53285 View attachment 53286 View attachment 53287 View attachment 53288 View attachment 53289 View attachment 53290 View attachment 53291
I bought one of these at auction a year ago. Not nearly as nice as this one, but for less than $400 I think I did well. It has been a project with lots of delays, but I finally have it assembled in my basement. I would be interested to know what kind of info is contained in the manual. I have some old photocopies of manuals to very similar machines that are very weak with respect to parts and repair/maintenance procedures. I found a manual for purchase online, but the the manual owner/publisher keeps it very close to the vest, and I do not know if it has the info I need. I would love to get a copy of this manual as well. Would you be willing to share?

I suspect obtaining suitable replacement parts are going to be near impossible in most cases, but right now, all i have is a list of item numbers as they correspond to a few diagrams. No actual numbers.

Let me know
Thanks
Not sure if you found anything yet, but this is some of the stuff I have come across so far. It does have some electrical diagrams that could be helpful. Let me know if you see this and if you have any of your own info to share, I think support for these old beasts is going to have to come from fellow users.

Attachments

• HVM-728 OLD .pdf
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • HVM-728 OPERATORS MANUAL.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • HVM-728.pdf
    679.9 KB · Views: 7
  • HVM-728_OCRd.pdf
    705 KB · Views: 5
  • milling machine.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Hello all!

View attachment 53281

Hey Tug, lowglide1 here. I'm new to the forum and saw your post. I just bought a 1979 version of the same mill. Mine is in very good condition also. I am wondering how yours had held up and if you are still happy with it.

Back