Jet Horizontal Powered Hacksaw

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i made a short video of my recently repaired Vintage Jet Powered Hacksaw cutting some beefy steel and posted it on youtube.

[video=youtube;YbQPwVRuM1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQPwVRuM1I[/video]

thanks for looking!
feel free to post coments, and ask questions!

looks good, could you tell me the size of the large gear that the crank is attached onto as well as the number of teeth? same as the pinion gear driving it if that is not a problem.

Thanks Todd

sure, i'll get the measurements and #of teeth
i'll post tonight!
thanks for your interest!

looks good, could you tell me the size of the large gear that the crank is attached onto as well as the number of teeth? same as the pinion gear driving it if that is not a problem.

Thanks Todd

Well here you go ,Todd:

large helical cut spur gear(driven gear) is 10 5/8" diameter 121 teeth.
small helical cut spur gear(drive gear) is 1 15/16" diameter 20 teeth.
just as a fyi the motor is 1740 rpm not sure but under 1/2 hp 115 vac capacitor start.
8 1/2" driven V Belt pulley
2 7/8" motor drive V Belt pulley
the V Belt is a A39 or 4L410 both belts are the same length and profile.

i hope the information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions or post comments.
thanks for looking!

Hi there!
just saw your short video on You Tube and it seems that old Jet looks the same as my Taiwanese King Rex 400. I am deep in the restoration, few parts are damaged and hidraulic pump is dead. As I can see in your video, Jet does not lift saw on free stroke and I wonder if you have the same problem. Any Manual or Exploded View would be helpful or just your opinion whether it could work well without lifting the blade at all.

Regards

Hi there!
just saw your short video on You Tube and it seems that old Jet looks the same as my Taiwanese King Rex 400. I am deep in the restoration, few parts are damaged and hidraulic pump is dead. As I can see in your video, Jet does not lift saw on free stroke and I wonder if you have the same problem. Any Manual or Exploded View would be helpful or just your opinion whether it could work well without lifting the blade at all.

Regards
The saw i have has only a slight lift on the backstroke. There is a cam that accomplishes the lift. As the cam wears the lift reduces. The condition of the bushings on the cross shaft will also affect the lift.
My saw is well abused and needs some TLC, but it still functions well.
I’m sorry, i don’t have any exploded views or a manual

Last edited:
As I am not convinced about putting the hidraulic pump back to life, may be using existing cam and the photo of yours would be the solution. Plse be so kind to make few shots, just to give me the clue. I'd like to avoid the wear markba63csl kindly
The saw i have has only a slight lift on the backstroke. There is a cam that accomplishes the lift. As the cam wears the lift reduces. The condition of the bushings on the cross shaft will also affect the lift.
My saw is well abused and needs some TLC, but it still functions well.
I’m sorry, i don’t have any exploded views or a manual

I think the blade will wear faster if there is no lift

mentioned. The machine has that vintage look, I hope to see it in action once. Thank you for the prompt answer and do not rush with the photos.

@Ulma Doctor
Mike,

Whoa, old thread...... but I just saw it.
That saw is lucky to be in your care!

I bet that cutting fluid smells great.

Brian

EDIT btw: I did NOT see the Jet model number posted above, but there could be a manual here:
https://jettools.com/manuals

I also poked around the 'net for a "King Rex 400" power hack-saw manual, but came up dry.

Last edited:
Well, it seems promising..if only Ulma Doctor could find the model number of his beauty..

Back