Jet Grinder for turning tools?

Found this one at Penn Tool.

OTMT 6" Wheel Diameter Carbide Tool Grinder - TG-6L - 87-002-335​

That's interesting. I've wanted a belt grinder for a long time because I have an itching knife making hobby.

That’s a big part of why I built mine. Housemade.us
A cheap stick welder from harbor freight will work if need be.

Search for Mikey’s thread on the subject of grinding HSS on a belt grinder. He does an excellent job explaining the whole process.

Pay close attention to the tool rests. Those that are too small or hard to adjust or are just plain flimsy will make an otherwise decent grinder a pita to use.

Stone wheels are messy, especially when dressing, CBN is better in my opinion, and I use a Jet belt grinder with a ceramic belt also.

I love my 2x72. I built it from plans on the net, nothing fancy, but it grinds HSS amazingly well. I already had a welder, so I grabbed some stock and went to town. Well worth the effort and cost was quite reasonable.

A 2x72 belt grinder (sander?) is high on my list of things to build. I have a small Rikon belt/disc sander with a 1" belt and it has become my go-to for nearly everything. My 6" pedestal grinder does not see much use anymore. If I need to grind a bevel in a piece of steel for welding for example, I use my angle grinder with a Walter flap wheel to make quick work of that process.

I built this House Work 2x72 but was Gen 3. Added 2HP 3 phase motor with cheap Amazon VFD and it is a metal cutting machine. I've got VFD setup for 5000 SFM. With tilting table, it makes grinding HSS bits much easier than on a grinder. I've got 8" and 6" bench grinders.

22-03-03 17-17-42 7109.jpg

Looked all over for the slow speed grinder... Amazon had it w/ free shipping (non Prime) so I went for it. It showed up today on a semi truck and a pallet. (Lol? It can't weigh 40lbs)

Also got some CBN wheels from https://woodturnerswonders.com. Ended up with a 60 grit on the left, and a 350 on the right.

Had to make some spacers out of aluminum round bar (A huge set of gauge pins sure is handy!).

It's got dust collection on the back of each guard as well. So far really happy with it. The rests are very solid.

Grinds HSS really easily!

For those without the deep pockets for CBN the friable white aluminum oxide sold by woodworking suppliers work well.

View attachment 398988

Looked all over for the slow speed grinder... Amazon had it w/ free shipping (non Prime) so I went for it. It showed up today on a semi truck and a pallet. (Lol? It can't weigh 40lbs)

Also got some CBN wheels from https://woodturnerswonders.com. Ended up with a 60 grit on the left, and a 350 on the right.

Had to make some spacers out of aluminum round bar (A huge set of gauge pins sure is handy!).

It's got dust collection on the back of each guard as well. So far really happy with it. The rests are very solid.

Grinds HSS really easily!

My CBN wheels from them showed up today. I got a 180g and 600g. Can’t wait to try them out.

I preordered a Palmgren 3phase dual shaft 1HP 8in bench grinder. Plan on powering it off the VFD from my 2x72 belt grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back