Jet Grinder for turning tools?

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered

I need a grinder to make/sharpen turning tools. I saw this model recommended somewhere else. Any reason not to choose this one? Comes with Norton stones, and the rests look really nice - which is rare.

Open to other makes/models preferably in the sub 1000 dollar price range

I've had one of this type for 15 years or so.......the adjustable tables are nice.

I've had one of this type for 15 years or so.......the adjustable tables are nice.

I've had my eye on that one. I kind of need/want something now, and that one is backordered though. It's still on my shopping list.

Other vendors sell them also.....they are pretty generic. One advantage is the wheel grinding surface is flat, not a radius.

The general consensus based on my recent research.

1700 rpm grinders are for the woodchucks worried about messing up the heat treat sharpening their carbon steel tools. Get a 3400 rpm grinder.

Jet makes a really cool 8inch grinder with a built in VFD.

Baldor 501 carbide bench grinder would be a good but expensive option.

CBN wheels are pretty very interesting and affordable. I have a few showing up soon from Woodturnerswonders.com

2x72 belt grinder is really good option for lathe bits and very versatile shop tool. They can be built for under $1000.

I have a 2x72 belt grinder with a VFD. I’m going to build a bench grinder and power it off the same VFD. I can’t find a dual shaft 3 phase motor so I’m going single shaft. I’m finishing the Eccentric Engineering sharpening jig and will use that for the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other vendors sell them also.....they are pretty generic. One advantage is the wheel grinding surface is flat, not a radius.

Help me out with some terms to search for?

The general consensus based on my recent research.

1700 rpm grinders are for the woodchucks worried about messing up the heat treat sharpening their carbon steel tools. Get a 3400 rpm grinder.

Jet makes a really cool 8inch grinder with a built in VFD.

Baldor 501 carbide bench grinder would be a good but expensive option.

CBN wheels are pretty very interesting and affordable. I have a few showing up soon from Woodturnerswonders.com

2x72 belt grinder is really good option for lathe bits and very versatile shop tool. They can be built for under $1000.

I have a 2x72 belt grinder with a VFD. I’m going to build a bench grinder and power it off the same VFD. I can’t find a dual shaft 3 phase motor so I’m going single shaft. I’m finishing the Eccentric Engineering sharpening jig and will use that for the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I've wanted a belt grinder for a long time because I have an itching knife making hobby.

Help me out with some terms to search for?
They are called a carbide tool grinder., or 6" carbide tool grinder.

Travers has one, but they weren't willing to ship it to me without a loading dock: https://www.travers.com/product/otmt-tg-6l-carbide-tool-grinder-87-002-335
I ended up picking mine up from AllIndustrial who was willing to ship it, but they don't seem to list it anymore? It might be worth contacting either of them. I assume Travers might be able to ship to a local freight company, which you might find acceptable.

At the moment, it seems that the Travers one is the only one that isn't ~2k (with one Enco on MSC for 600, but it looks like the same as the travers/Grizzly ones).

One note: the wheels themselves are a bit of a pain to shop for, they have some pretty common words in the name that make them tough to google for. I picked some up for ~$40 each from the usual companies. I WOULD suggest going with a white wheel, the green ones they come with aren't good at all for HSS as far as I experienced.

I have this type too made by Harbor Freight. I like the tables because of the slot and adjustable mitre gage. Along with being able to easily reverse direction its easy to set up so once the tool is properly ground it’s easy to touch up by leaving the table set to those angles. Direction is essential because carbide and HSS edges chip when ground in different wheel directions. Learned that by microscope observation. I also prefer grinding on a flat instead of the arc of a wheel.

Back