Jet GHB 1340 Gap

Kickstart

Active User
Registered
Went to look at one of these a few days ago (1995 model) and it was just sitting on a concrete floor, no bolting or anti vib mounts. Anyone know what the correct method is for these Lathes?

I called Jet and they said they only sell them and I should call Sunnex mounts. I still can't believe that answer however I do believe I would NOT buy anything from them.

If I called dodge and asked what tires I should put on my '98 Durango and they said to look in the owners manual, I'd still like dodge.

To answer your Q. It depends on the structure to some extent, scaling concrete bolting/grouting would be a must. If the lathe is the right height, or could use some extra height. Level pad? Sloped for runoff? Machine installation is usually between the buyer and the installer. Often they are the same entity.

Steve

Most new machines, (even the imported machines) come with leveling screws with a lock - Jam nut and a leveling pad that the leveling screws set on. There are tapped holes in the base and you install the screws. I have seen many used machines, where the old owner sold the machine and the pads were left behind and all that was left was a leveling screw with the lock nut. If you don't know and you are new to machine leveling, you screw the leveling screw into the concrete floor. This is bad as the concrete will break under the screw eventually. You have to put the screws on a flat pad, I usually make them out of 1/2" x 4" bar stock cut 4" long and spot face a 1" hole 1/8" deep on one side where the leveling screw sets in. Other wise the pad tends to slide out (walk) when tightening or by vibration. No need to buy some expensive factory made pad. Sometimes if I will cut a 1/8" piece of paper gasket material and set the pad on, if I am worried about vibration or marking the floor..

If I called dodge and asked what tires I should put on my '98 Durango and they said to look in the owners manual, I'd still like dodge.

To answer your Q. It depends on the structure to some extent, scaling concrete bolting/grouting would be a must. If the lathe is the right height, or could use some extra height. Level pad? Sloped for runoff? Machine installation is usually between the buyer and the installer. Often they are the same entity.

Steve

Had there been anything in the manual about mounting/securing I would of had no reason to call them for the tire size :))

Most new machines, (even the imported machines) come with leveling screws with a lock - Jam nut and a leveling pad that the leveling screws set on. There are tapped holes in the base and you install the screws. I have seen many used machines, where the old owner sold the machine and the pads were left behind and all that was left was a leveling screw with the lock nut. If you don't know and you are new to machine leveling, you screw the leveling screw into the concrete floor. This is bad as the concrete will break under the screw eventually. You have to put the screws on a flat pad, I usually make them out of 1/2" x 4" bar stock cut 4" long and spot face a 1" hole 1/8" deep on one side where the leveling screw sets in. Other wise the pad tends to slide out (walk) when tightening or by vibration. No need to buy some expensive factory made pad. Sometimes if I will cut a 1/8" piece of paper gasket material and set the pad on, if I am worried about vibration or marking the floor..

The gentleman who owns the machine stated when he bought the machine new there was no type of leveling feet. The lathe is bolted to a metal stand that is between so-so and a little better than flimsy, it has a cabinet on each end with through holes (not threaded) at the floor level (4 on the head end and 2 on the tail stock end). This machine only is around 1200 lbs and when I ran it there was no real vibration that got me concerned.

I am just curious to find out from owners of these machines how and if they secured them.

Thanks

Sorry what I was trying to say (not meaning to sound like a jerk) is that it depends on the location a lot. If the floor was poured and laser floated/leveled (we moved into a 300x300' building and the floor was nearly surface plate perfect) a couple piece of conveyer belt may be all that is needed. Most garage floors are sound and simply need leveling feet. Some floors are poured wrong and the top skin is weak requiring some way to keep the machine from digging into it. If the slab was outdoors and poured to drain the lathe may need to be bolted down so it doesn't migrate downhill.

Sometimes the machine needs to be a little higher for operator comfort, so leveling feet with built in spacers are needed. Which was my case.

feets.JPG
I needed my Jet 12x36 to be a couple inches higher to ease my lower back. So I made these levelers. It just sat on 4 6" pieces of conveyer belt until then and apparently for 30yrs at the previous location. My Jet 9x20's cabinet just sits on the floor even though the manual under "setup and operation" says it must be fastened to the floor and is provided with anchoring tabs and is nice and level (probably luck that).

There are so many considerations for an installation that it is up to the owner to get it right. Often there is a paragraph in the manual on installation, we generally don't bolt them down unless needed, they tend to stay in place.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/m-321810.pdf is the owners manual I believe and it mentions pads on page 7 though the parts manual http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/321820_man_EN.pdf doesn't seem to list them.

Sorry again for being so curt earlier I didn't realize it until I read your quote, no excuse but I musta been in a hurry.

Steve

feets.JPG

Sorry what I was trying to say (not meaning to sound like a jerk) is that it depends on the location a lot. If the floor was poured and laser floated/leveled (we moved into a 300x300' building and the floor was nearly surface plate perfect) a couple piece of conveyer belt may be all that is needed. Most garage floors are sound and simply need leveling feet. Some floors are poured wrong and the top skin is weak requiring some way to keep the machine from digging into it. If the slab was outdoors and poured to drain the lathe may need to be bolted down so it doesn't migrate downhill.

Sometimes the machine needs to be a little higher for operator comfort, so leveling feet with built in spacers are needed. Which was my case.

View attachment 44095
I needed my Jet 12x36 to be a couple inches higher to ease my lower back. So I made these levelers. It just sat on 4 6" pieces of conveyer belt until then and apparently for 30yrs at the previous location. My Jet 9x20's cabinet just sits on the floor even though the manual under "setup and operation" says it must be fastened to the floor and is provided with anchoring tabs and is nice and level (probably luck that).

There are so many considerations for an installation that it is up to the owner to get it right. Often there is a paragraph in the manual on installation, we generally don't bolt them down unless needed, they tend to stay in place.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/m-321810.pdf is the owners manual I believe and it mentions pads on page 7 though the parts manual http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/321820_man_EN.pdf doesn't seem to list them.

Sorry again for being so curt earlier I didn't realize it until I read your quote, no excuse but I musta been in a hurry.

Steve

Steve, no problems and No apology needed that's why I put the smiley face behind the quote. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Back