Jet Gh-1340a Lathe Stock No.321350 An “unplanned Project” Adventure

Benny,
I can tell you EXACTLY what happened to your lathe as shown in the pic at the top of this post. Whoever was operating the power crossfeed on the apron did not disengage it before it came to the end of the travel. This will shear teeth off of the 22 tooth bronze gear (#06429) that was on the end of the shaft that is in the pic. Doing so also deformed the slot in the shaft (GHB1340A-06714) and probably bent the shaft itself. I have done this twice to my machine due to inattention on my part. The brass shear pins for both feed rods WILL NOT shear if the machine does bind up for any reason................

Pat,
Sounds like your lathe has a brass taper shear pin or does it have a straight shear pin? The machine dealer gave me a couple of brass taper shear pins that he thought were the right ones for my project machine. However today I took time off from outdoor spring cleanup and pulled the shear pin from my parts machine. It is a 5mm x 37mm straight one with notches (photo attached). This should work if material and notches are properly designed and machined. I am going to make a drawing of it and see if a friend of mine can use his company's spectrometer to determine the material for future reference. I may also make a longer shear pin for the ball detent clutch just for good measure in case I adjust it incorrectly. All the adjust information I have been able to get for the ball detent clutch is so vague!
SP5x37mm.jpg

Benny,
I can tell .........................................
PM me if I can help you with the rebuild of the apron as I am not on this board much.
I plan on moving the carriage/apron assembly from the my parts machine to the project machine as that is the fastest way. I can then make repair parts for the apron as a project. It will make great spares in case I screw up learning the new lathe.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Back