Jet BD-920N Paint Color.. and thoughts from owners

I thought I'd pop some photos of my 9 x 20 on here...

Thanks Rick. You were absolutely correct about the Jet having not been properly cleaned, but put directly into service with much of the original protective coating left on it. What looked like rust in the photos, was oil and protectant. After a personal inspection, I have decided to let this one pass. I was surprised to see how small the lathe was. And for a couple hundred dollars more than the asking price, I can buy a new G4000 from Grizzly (without the stand, but the factory 9x20 stand is much too short for me) delivered to my door.

However, I am now leaning toward a Grizzly G0602 10x22 which, at almost twice the weight of the 9x20, but only a couple hundred dollars more in price, strikes me as a much more substantial lathe. Maybe some owners could give us a comparison of these two types of lathes-- a 9x20 vs. a 10x22.

It seems in our three-state region that the used lathe market has dried up-- especially for lathes with quick-change gear boxes. I have been looking for months. Last week I looked at an old Atlas whose Zamac gears were quite literally crumbling and the owner wouldn't budge from his $500 asking price. The only accessories were a broken 5-inch three-jaw chuck, and a rusty old four-jaw-- no chuck keys included. Also, no change gears and the motor was broken. I don't mind a project, but I do mind a money pit: $125 for change gears; $200 for a new three-jaw chuck and backplate; and anywhere from $50 to $280 for a back (bull) gear; $100 for miscellaneous other gears and other parts... the list keeps growing and I still don't have a motor to make chips. This is quite typical of what I've been running into.

At any rate, I have really enjoyed and learned from this discussion, the suggestions offered, and the photos.

Ken

Back