Jet 1236P swap/replacement

No thread by myself but there are lots of others here.

I have dealt with vfd on our machines at work but not an expert!
I used the local motor shop for recommendation on motor and drive. Ended up using a Techtop motor and a Hitachi vfd. I have 240 to the shop which helped.
Pierre

These days I recommend the Automation Direct DURApulse GS20/GS21 VFDs as being reasonably priced, good documentation and support. The wiring/implementation depends on how the current controls on the lathe work and if you want to use a spindle lever (if present) or push buttons. I always recommend to have some form of interlocks similar the he stock control system. I do not recommend hooking up the spindle wires directly to the VFD inputs for the forward/stop/reverse commands. If you need some recommendations on wiring suggestions and VFD parameters you can PM me. The software for the GS20/GS21 can be downloaded and is very user friendly to program the VFD. Alternative is static converter or RPC. Motor wise look for a TENV or TEFC motor of the same motor frame that is inverter rated. It also depends on the motor space and verifying the size that fits.

Motor examples assume is is 1.5Hp 1750 RPM, although you could also go with a 2Hp 145 frame motor and there are lots of options. Marathon motors have the blackmax and blumax series, Baldor IDNM series, Teco, Lincolin and a few others. If you have a question on a particular motor we can address it, you should post your motor name plate/picture if you have a question on what motor to use for 3 phase.

Back