Jet 1236P swap/replacement

SteelTwister

Registered
Registered
Hi y'all,
I purchased a Jet 1236P a few years ago with the intent of restoring it, but just couldn't find the time to do so. I've been using it off and on for various projects and I find that for what I do, I don't really need such a large machine. I don't anticipate turning anything longer than about 10-12 in and most of the work I do on it is 2-4" max diameter. Not really doing any high precision stuff, like gunsmithing. I also work mostly with mild steel and occasionally aluminum.
Sooo... I'm considering getting rid of the Jet and getting a more compact lathe to make more space in my shop.
I could use some advice on selecting a smaller machine that would suit my needs. Also, if anyone has a suitable machine they want to swap, I would be open to that.
Thanks for any and all advice you guys can offer!

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with starting your search at https://www.precisionmatthews.com/

They are a forum sponsor, and have a good reputation. And when you buy a new machine, you don't need to fuss with rebuilding it before you can get busy making parts!

My lathe journey started with a clapped out South Bend 9". Sold because I was moving across the country...and it wasn't worth moving. Years later, I bought a cheap China 8x16 jobby, which was a POS. Maybe I got unlucky? More recently, I found a nice low mileage Taiwan made 12x36 that I'm getting to know. I find the 12x36 larger than what I need, but it's wonderfully heavy and solid. I suspect it's a lot like your Jet, but in better shape.

Money is what these searches often come down to. How much do you have to spend? Also, what does your Jet need? A big push to upgrade it may save money in the end. Easy for me to say, though...

I found that you don't save that much space between a lathe the size you have and a smaller 9x20 type of lath. If it's a bit to much of a do'er upper I guess that's a bit different :)

Stu

To me you'll get about 20" of length space savings going to a 10x22. I had to shoehorn a 1440 into my 1228 space, and I do not think I'll ever want to go back.

Even a 10X24 has a fairly large footprint. At the shop we have the Jet BDB1340 and a PM 1228VF and they are not much different.
Pierre

I very much regret selling my 12x24 900 pound Grizzly lathe, when I came to the same conclusion you have.

The next lathe I buy will probably be a PM 1228. I wish it weighed as much as the Grizzly G4002(discontinued), but it has alot more features. I’ll never need a 36” bed either.

But if I had a 12x36 in my shop now though, I wouldn’t replace it for a smaller machine. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I've decided to keep the Jet based on your feedback. I was watching videos of various smaller lathes and while the variable speed drive for the spindle and leads looked pretty handy, the "beefiness"(is that a word?) factor seemed weak for the smaller lathes that I might be able to afford. I think a good cleanup and re-lube once I finish the current project and then a few upgrades is a better use of funds as Nesse1 suggested. The back gears have been missing since I got it and I'm curious how much it would cost to upgrade to a VFD. Back gears are $129 from Grizzly. Also have some issue with the tailstock alignment. It seems high, not sure how to fix that.

I used a 2 hp invertor rated motor and VFD to replace the 1.5 pony motor. The original motor would stall at just looking at a heavier cut. World of difference in the cutting capability. Not cheap but well worth the money!
Pierre

I used a 2 hp invertor rated motor and VFD to replace the 1.5 pony motor. The original motor would stall at just looking at a heavier cut. World of difference in the cutting capability. Not cheap but well worth the money!
Pierre
Hey Pierre! Is there a thread on here for your conversion or one you'd recommend? Lots of choices for VFD's, any favorite models?

Back