Jet 1236P Basket Case Project

Spectre1995

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I bought a Jet 1236P lathe locally for $500. Up until recently, I used a Grizzly G0752 (and the Baileigh equivelant) for my gunsmithing work, so basically anything is a step up from those two. One of the biggest issues I had with the Grizzly / Baileigh was the spindle bore, but the near 1-1/2" bore that the Jet has is more than enough for what I'll be doing.

When I got it, it had been used as a parts lathe so I had to hunt down a handful of things to make it work. Parts from the Grizzly G9249 filled most of the gaps, but not all of them. The only thing so far that doesn't seem to have worked is the worm gear for the feed rod not engaging with the brass gear on the apron. It would appear that one (or both) is slightly too small in diameter, and the teeth aren't meshing properly. Ironically, the feed rod was also missing, so I was able to utilize the rod for the apron mounted power switch handle (I am not a fan of apron mounted power switches). The rods are the exact same diameter, but since the power switch rod was slightly shorter than the feed rod, I had to machine an adapter to make it work. You'll see a couple images below on what that looks like - I had to bore out the "receiver" to fit the adapter, and used a cut off piece of 9mm pistol barrel to make the adapter. I'll probably add a oil port so I can lubricate it more regularly - for now it's just coated in high pressure wheel bearing grease.

It also came with a Yamakawa chuck that has to be re-ground. I already 3D printed a bracket for my router to be used as a toolpost grinder.

Aside from the G9249 option, are there other possible sources for parts for this machine? So far here's what I know I need;
-Worm gear for power feed (or corresponding brass apron drive gear)
-Steady Rest
-Follow Rest
-Quill, Quill Screw, Quill Handle (Currently using an improvised setup that works decently well)
-One of the headstock gears. Circled in the image below. I'm not sure where it came from, but the shape of the teeth doesn't match the others and it makes a hell of a racket when I engage the gears.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 316417610_525076979489967_335226805208902378_n.jpg
    316417610_525076979489967_335226805208902378_n.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 54
The circled gear looks completely worn to me- the teeth are pointed which is the tell-tale sign
Why the others aren't is a mystery

The others may have been replaced. Maybe that was one gear that was taken off to repair another machine at some point in its life? The teeth almost look laser cut, but whatever the case may be, it definitely does not mesh up properly at all.

I bought the same lathe(JET 1236) a few months ago and it is missing parts. still trying to find an apron and rack for it.

Back