Jet 1236 Spindle Switch Help/advice Needed

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I broke the spindle switch on my early 80s Jet 1236(don't ask how:blue:). As a result the lathe won't run, not sure why but it was up and running before this unfortunate accident. I pulled back the spindle rod off the switch, that didn't happen when I screwed up.

IMG_3611_zps97zukv4p.jpg

IMG_3610_zpsir6aun28.jpg

All the wires are still connected so that dashed my hopes of an easy fix. I

IMG_3618_zps6paimgdd.jpg

IMG_3619_zpswolhn1mz.jpg

Will any standard 3 position rotary switch work? I did a google search and there are hundreds types/sizes, this would probably be the better option for a quality switch, but don't know what to buy.

Here is a spindle switch (the "new model" micro switch for grizz lathes) I can order(I think) from Grizzley, will it work? I realize its not exactly the same physically but I can work around that, I just need it to have the same switching capabilities.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-05%20at%208.11.54%20AM_zpswak73qss.png

thanks, Brian

edit: just saw this thread a few posts down from mine, sorry for the redundancy.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/need-help-with-a-lathe-power-switchswitch.40614/

The switch on my lathe does not power it on, the guy I bought it from had it wired to an on/off switch in the power cord, so this switch is/was used only to reverse feed direction. This switch is suggested in that thread(above), will it work for me, running 220@15amps?

44d14940-73d0-4e91-b725-aaa40b0573fd_zps3hcrp5xg.png

Last edited:
I am not sure if the Grizzly switch will work if yours switches high voltage, as the Grizzly switch is for 24VAC . Your switch appears to be switching high voltage (R, S). Does you machine use Contactors? Here is a link to an an older Jet 1236 manual which has the wring diagram on the last page.
http://totallyscrewedmachineshop.com/machinery/12x36/1024P (S) & 1236P (S).pdf

Can the old switch be taken apart, as it may be repairable? If ones knows the contact changes/schematic one can figure out the sequence. An alternate solution may be a drum switch, or something like this one if you know the connection changes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latching-12...524852?hash=item484f62de74:g:paAAAOSwAYtWJwPQ

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info and links mksj, really helpful. And yes I didn't notice the frizz was a 24v relay switch....

Brian

When MKSJ put together the VFD package for me one of the things I asked for in the feature was to have push button switches for the FWD/OFF/REV function so I can pull out the rod driven spindle switch and the rod out of my 1236, if you can use the switch I will box it up and send it to you.

PM sent Bamban, thanks so much!

Brian

You can get a replacement switch from Graingers. I got a replacement from Rassmusen Electric in Green Bay Wisconsin 920) 435-6924, just make sure it it is a continous and not momentary.

Switch is on the way. Mailed out today. Merry Christmas.

As long as you weren't hurt, accidents happen in a blink of an eye. Glad you found a replacement part.

Merry Christmas to all

Back