Jet 1024P wiring- 120 to 240, do I need to rewire the lines to the motor?

Voynich

Registered
Registered
I've got a Jet 1024p that I was willed to me after my grandfather passed away, as I'm the only mechanically minded person in the family. He was a machinist and an inventor, so the lathe has a lot of memories tied up in it. It was removed when I wasn't around, so I don't know if it was wired for 120 or 240. I think it was 120, but I'm not sure based on the wiring diagram on the side of the lathe. I'd like to run single phase 240 to it (off of my dryer plug- it's the only one I have at the moment. Already tried to wire a dedicated plug in the garage, and was unable.) but the dryer plug is only a three wire.
Questions:
1. How do I tell if it was wired for 120 or 240?
2. If it is 120, what do I need to change to wire it for 240? There's a six pin diagram for the motor on the back of the lathe, but the colors and numbers don't match to what I've got.
3. Will the three wire 240 work, or do I need a 4 wire?

Thanks! My guess is the answers will lead to more questions....

Hi, can you post some pictures? Sorry to hear about your grandpa, sounds like he would have wanted you to have the lathe :)
It's probably wired for 120 volts now. You'll need to rearrange the wires at the motor and change the plug (you probably knew that)
Usually you need a minimum of 3 wires for 240v
-Mark
ps here is a copy of the manual- it has info on changing the voltage

Attachments

• Jet_1024PY_1236PY.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
1. How do I tell if it was wired for 120 or 240?
2. If it is 120, what do I need to change to wire it for 240? There's a six pin diagram for the motor on the back of the lathe, but the colors and numbers don't match to what I've got.
3. Will the three wire 240 work, or do I need a 4 wire?

As mentioned, post pictures of the diagram, and the current wiring setup showing the shorting bars, etc. That will answer the first two questions using the manual Mark posted.

Single-phase, 240V service for (edit to add: old style prior to 2000) a dryer plug is two conductors and one combined "ground/neutral", so you should be fine with the wire....typically one white, one black, and one green or bare copper. The white and black wires are the hot wires, each with 120V on them. The green is your ground wire...usually a bit smaller gauge since it's not supposed to carry current.

Last edited:
Actually, the old 3 prong dryer outlet usually provided the two hot lines and a neutral. Neutral is not ground, but it's supposed to be grounded at the pole. It's best not to depend on this however- neutrals have been known to come loose. Adding a separate safety ground is always a good idea; you can run a wire from a screw on the outlet box and tie it to a screw on the motor. This makes a 4 wire system, but you can keep the 3 prong plug and outlet. Safety first!
-Mark

Thanks, guys! Sorry for taking so long- work's gone nuts as things open back up! From almost nothing, to a full on sprint in that last couple of weeks. I guess I shouldn't complain- at least I'm working!

Here's how it's wired right now, and the diagram that's on the side of the lathe. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20210428_124800.jpg
    20210428_124800.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210428_124856.jpg
    20210428_124856.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210428_124725.jpg
    20210428_124725.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 6
Back