Jd garage plasma table

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Anyone out there build one of the jd garage plasma tables? I ran across his utube channel and has me really curios about his machine. He labels the build as under 500 dollar plasma table.

My main question is durability of the machine. His design has a cantilever gantry arm. Wondering how that holds up? Anyone that has built or owns one can you elaborate on owning one and the do’s and don’ts of it. I’m Ready to take the plunge!

Is the purpose of the cantilevered gantry to let you slip larger sheets on the table?

I would be concerned about the cutting torch bouncing and shaking with that design. My understanding is the floating gantry arm is supported be 3D printed plastic guide brackets? Hmmm....????

A conventional gantry secured on both sides would make me feel more comfortable.

I would be concerned about the cutting torch bouncing and shaking with that design
You might be right but in the build video, he shows that while there is some deflection it is not too much and I don't think that Z-accuracy for a plasma cutter needs to be too precise. Those are also very beefy 3D printed parts. You could potentially increase their strength by printing with Carbon Fiber filament. Or use the initial build to cut out some metal parts to replace the 3D printed ones. Later in the build series, he puts together a torch height controller.

Langmuir sale one that is built similar to the Jd's one. I can tell you that having built my own table. That building one for 500 it pretty ambitious. The software is not cheap mine I use Mach 3 and Sheetcam to run. Those 2 programs where close to $300.

I'm in the early stages of building one now. Purchased the 3-D printed parts kits and all of the electronics. I'm hoping obtain the needed square tube by piggy backing onto a material order at work, but there are no new projects on the horizon with that requirement, so I'll be placing an order soon for the steel.

FWIW, so far I'm into the project for about $450.

That building one for 500 it pretty ambitious. The software is not cheap mine I use Mach 3 and Sheetcam to run. Those 2 programs where close to $300.

Is that a particular software version (possibly with minor updates) usable forever?
Many software providers are moving to a rental plans (yearly or monthly).

Thanks,
Brian

Langmuir sale one that is built similar to the Jd's one. I can tell you that having built my own table. That building one for 500 it pretty ambitious. The software is not cheap mine I use Mach 3 and Sheetcam to run. Those 2 programs where close to $300.
He says he’s using fusion 360 the free version. Idk what he is using to process.

Back