[Newbie] jacobs 14s sprial chuck - 1928 ? Buffalo Forge 10" drill press

rzonk

Registered
Registered
trying to find a chuck key for a Jacobs #14 s (spiral cut) any clues ?

Attachments

• DSC03285.JPG
    DSC03285.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 54
Closeup pic of the chuck? I have never seen a chuck with a spiral gear setup for the key.

I never heard of one, and do not understand why Jacobs would make it that way. After a Google search, I found 2 pics. I guess the spiral could pull the key in, making it take less pressure to tighten the chuck. Just a guess on my part.OldJacobsChuck3small.jpgOYutPiS.jpg

Generally speaking, spiral gearing is used to lessen the pressure on any one tooth in the gear, the spiral allows more than one tooth to share the load. I have never seen an unworn high quality straight tooth chuck key tend to disengage while tightening it.

Those keys aren't available from Jacobs & unfortunately they are very hard to find. The 12S & 14S chucks pop up on ebay from time to time but seem to rarely sell if they are missing the keys.

Any chance you can swap a conventional sleeve for the spiral model?
Would the newer one be a 14N chuck?

I'll check in the basement for a key . You never know what I'll come up with ! :big grin:

I have one of these presses, love to see more pictures. Have you had it working?

Tim

got it moving haven't tried to drill yet,motor is faster than what came off,leather belt broke as shortly after start up,made a belt from car serpentine looks like it works pretty good

Back