Jacobs 14N Super Chuck repair

This is just what I was looking for!! I picked up an old Buffalo Forge drill press at a garage sale and it has the 14N chuck. My chuck was also doing exactly what yours was...not closing right as the bits got smaller. I've never taken apart a chuck before but found another site (before finding this post) showing how. Since I don't have an arbor press I used a vise to remove the outer sleeve. Only problem was that the chuck fell out of the vise just as the sleeve came off and all the parts went scattering across the garage. Now I have an idea as to how it goes back together. Thanks to you I noticed I also have burrs in the slot where jaw 1 goes. Hope I have as much luck as you did!!

This is just what I was looking for!! I picked up an old Buffalo Forge drill press at a garage sale and it has the 14N chuck. My chuck was also doing exactly what yours was...not closing right as the bits got smaller. I've never taken apart a chuck before but found another site (before finding this post) showing how. Since I don't have an arbor press I used a vise to remove the outer sleeve. Only problem was that the chuck fell out of the vise just as the sleeve came off and all the parts went scattering across the garage. Now I have an idea as to how it goes back together. Thanks to you I noticed I also have burrs in the slot where jaw 1 goes. Hope I have as much luck as you did!!

Glad I could help. Hopefully you have it back together by now and it's working great!

Jack

Back