Jacobs 14N bearing replacement

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I came across a couple of Jacobs 14N ball bearing chucks in an auction lot. One seems to be in decent condition. The other one is, well, not so much. Lots of surface rust, and is seized. I plan to unstick it and "fix" it. I don't expect it to be usable for anything of significant precision, but I'd still like to use it just the same.

But the rebuild kits are insanely expensive. I don't really want to replace the jaws or the ring, but maybe the ball bearings. Anyone have an idea if there is a replacement bearing out there that can be bought by itself? Maybe it won't cost more than the chuck is worth?

I've disassembled two different 14N chucks... both of mine just had loose ball bearings between two seperate races... there was no cage between the bearings. I don't know if they are all made that way...

If your races are useable, then you should be able to simply measure the ball diameter and order replacement ball bearings from an online supplier for a few dollars.

Now that I think about it... I think that is what I did... so I probably still have a bag of the bearings. I'll check and see...

-Bear

The older Jacob's “super chucks” have bearings between races and are fairly easy to replace.

Once manufacturing moved “offshore” they went to sone kind of plastic bearing cage and fewer bearings. Note that they still were putting “made in usa“ on them. What I look for is the size is in imperial only, no metric equivalents. Its not the only indicator, but its a good quick ref to new vs old.

the older ones are totally rebuildable, the newer ones? Ehhhhh, sort of.

I hunt for the old superchucks all the time. The only problem is the jaws. If they’re worn, you’re essentially searching for a NOS rebuild kit and you’ll pay through the nose for it….

I have a little bag of 3mm bearings... I *THINK* they are the bearings that I ordered for my chuck.

If you verify that is what size you need, let me know and I'll send them to you...

-Bear

I decided to give the one I thought was seized a little bit of penetrating oil and it started to spin no problems. I think it was just some surface rust, but there was a lot of it. Gave it a bath in Evapo-rust, washed it off and then doused in WD. I will still take this one apart as soon as I get the chance, but it feels really smooth. Put in the spindle of the mill and I was getting about .003" of runout with a .250 gage pin, which is probably a little out of spec, but not by much (tenths maybe).

The second one was just as good. There was also an Albrecht chuck in the lot that needs a bit of service. The hood is loose on it. And I don't think the locking collar is installed to the right depth. I am hopeful. But for what I paid for them, it's a win no matter what.

IMG_1023.jpeg

I have a little bag of 3mm bearings... I *THINK* they are the bearings that I ordered for my chuck.

If you verify that is what size you need, let me know and I'll send them to you...

-Bear
Thanks. Might be a while, though. I suspect these have loose bearings. Both marked Made in USA.

Thanks. Might be a while, though. I suspect these have loose bearings. Both marked Made in USA.

When I took mine apart, most of the bearings came out with a flat side... they were very worn.

-Bear

Learn to take apart, clean, lubricate and reassemble Jacobs Superchucks. See youtube university. Well worth your time. One tip: do the disassembly over a pan lined with rags cuz those balls come out quick and vanish!

Back