I've Changed My Mind (Inserted Milling Cutters)

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought several of these inserted milling cutters off Aliexpress last year. They came with metric shanks, so I selected sizes that I could turn to fit the common R8 collet sizes, 10mm (3/8"), 14mm (1/2"), 20mm (3/4") and 25mm (3/4"). They use the APKT/APMT inserts. I was not impressed with the performance of the inserts, so I ordered some different ones. Not impressed with them either. After two more rounds, I found some Lamina (real or counterfeit, who knows) that hold up well. I've decided these cutters are worth something after all.

20240317_183936.jpg

Cutters

Inserts

They like rpm. Run them faster than you think you should.

I use my apkt inserts on Aluminum mostly running 2720 rpm and they work extremely well.

They like rpm. Run them faster than you think you should.

I use my apkt inserts on Aluminum mostly running 2720 rpm and they work extremely well.
Haven't cut much aluminum recently.

I've been using them on hardened lathe tool shanks, 25mm cutter at 660 rpm, .100 DOC. Piles of blue chips.

I really love how much quieter and how much less impact I get from the SEHT and SEKT type inserts. Then don't mill to a square shoulder but they do great on that type of milling.

I really love how much quieter and how much less impact I get from the SEHT and SEKT type inserts. Then don't mill to a square shoulder but they do great on that type of milling.
I agree, looking for a cutter smaller than 50mm that uses them.

Back