ITW dial indicator 1/10,000 Dial

Rick Berk

Active User
Registered
Hope this is a good place to post this, I have a Illinois Tool Works dial indicator that is 3 inch in diameter with 1" of travel and reads out 1/10,000 of in inch. I bought this used 42 years ago and cannot imagine going on without it, but here is the problem. The face dial is brass and was originally silk screened white and silk screened with red numbers and notched marks. The paint has been failing for some years now and cracking off and is getting to the point I need to have it fixed by someone with the skill to do it right or it will no longer be usable, any suggestions as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Rick-
I'd try these guys first: http://longislandindicator.com/
If they can't help with replacement parts or a suggestion, then I'd pursue a watch repair artisan. There are many craftsmen that enjoy refurbishing painted timepieces. Your dial face would be right up that alley. Might be pricey - but it would be authentic and unique.
-Dave

Just got a Email back from long island indicator, said the never heard of a ITW indicator and did not think they could help. This is a 12 jewel indicator so I do not want it to become useless, guess I'll look into clock face makers now.

Well it was worth a shot with the Long Island guys. They seem quite knowledgeable and have a ton of parts that no one else has.

I too have never heard of ITW. Sounds like a classic piece. Do you have a picture of the face you could share? Maybe somebody would recognize it.

Regards
-Dave

This indicator came from Evansville, Indiana which was a heavy war production town Building more LST's than anyone else, built 80% of all P47's. The number of small arms ammo was staggering as I remember. I was told once that ITW made only the finest quality inspection gages that ranked up there with Pratt and Whitney. I have always thought this was a war production gage, all I can say is ti has served me for 40 years and shows no signs of failing other than the paint. I have an old Dell computer that I bought new about 8 years ago and when I bought a Sony digital camera I never could get the two to work, had a neighbor help and he could not figure it out either, I need to get a new one soon and it will not be a Dell. This indicator has a graduation of 0-100-0 in one revolution with an arrow for plus on one side and minus on the other, the next time my son comes by I'll ask him to take a picture with his cell phone an try to send it that way.

Yes! Pic pic pic!! :)

Bernie

This indicator came from Evansville, Indiana which was a heavy war production town Building more LST's than anyone else, built 80% of all P47's. The number of small arms ammo was staggering as I remember. I was told once that ITW made only the finest quality inspection gages that ranked up there with Pratt and Whitney. I have always thought this was a war production gage, all I can say is ti has served me for 40 years and shows no signs of failing other than the paint. I have an old Dell computer that I bought new about 8 years ago and when I bought a Sony digital camera I never could get the two to work, had a neighbor help and he could not figure it out either, I need to get a new one soon and it will not be a Dell. This indicator has a graduation of 0-100-0 in one revolution with an arrow for plus on one side and minus on the other, the next time my son comes by I'll ask him to take a picture with his cell phone an try to send it that way.

Old thread but I'd bet that this DI was made by Federal and badged with the ITW label for use on the ITW involute gear checker.

I have several of these and they are sturdy, accurate and useful. Some of the ones I have are marked Federal and some are marked ITW.

Fantastic tools in all respects.

THANKS for your input, I have not found any of the DI repair people would'nt even look at it. Clock face makers are apparently to busy with clocks. I got the bezel ring off, it had 3 #0-80 screws hidden thru a hole in the bezel ring, still need to make a pointer puller to get to the face. It's still on the list or work in progress but has very low priority with the wonderful weather we are having this year. I've been cleaning and painting a SB 10L for the last 2 weeks, trying to get it all painted for assembly this winter.

Rick,
You can make a simple puller from a piece of pipe about 25mm dia. Take a slice about 6-10 mm thick, file the inside flat on one side, file the outside flat, (just make it as thin as required to slide under the pointer) cut a notch to fit the shaft, drill and tap for a suitable screw and your set to go.
IMG_5797.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5799.JPG

Cheers Phil

IMG_5797.JPG IMG_5798.JPG IMG_5799.JPG

new.jpg This is my first picture ever, hope it works.

Big red letter say ILLINOIS on the left face it has "Minus with an arrow, on the right is Plus with an arrow. at the center it has full jeweled 1/10000. at 6 oclock it has Illinois Tool Works Chicago. the scale is 0-100 on the right and 0-100 on the left. Thanks.

new.jpg

Back