It's Finally Time: Build That Machine Shop!

chip_slinger

Active User
Registered
Hi guys,

I started a post over on garage journal a little while ago about putting together my shop, and thought you might be interested too. Since I started it there I'll keep it updated there for the time being. Let me know if you want me to bump this thread when I update the GJ post. Here's the link and some pictures to entice you:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204265

azejusy9.jpg

tetu3u2y.jpg

azejusy9.jpg

tetu3u2y.jpg

Looking good chip, the yellow things under the mill are they rollers, if not I got an idea.......

Good show! Hey I am way jealous. I don't have a parquet hardwood floor in my shop.

Just kidding, get it finished so you can enjoy it.

Very Awesome!!!

And yes, please let us know when you make updates on GJ, I'm a member over there too, but dont check it nearly as often as this site.

Looks like your well on the way with your new shop. Looking awesome :thumbzup:

Looking good chip, the yellow things under the mill are they rollers, if not I got an idea.......

Those are actually leveling pads from Unisorb. They made leveling the mill real easy and also bring up the base off the floor for a little breathing room.

- - - Updated - - -

Short update today, got the head trammed in and put on the vise. More details and pics on the GJ post: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3202729

Nice looking shop. In the first photo, under the wood vise is a small multi drawer tool box of some type. I've been looking for something like that. Where did you get it?

Steve t

Your shop looks great! I took a look at your garage journal link(thanks for that site btw) and your Rockwell Drill Press is freaking AWESOME!!!!! That is the most badass drill press I think I have ever seen! The dovetail way so that you can move it back and forth is sweet. If you ever think of selling it please get in touch with me first!

This is kind of amazing. Your Rockwell Drill Press is a dead ringer for my Walker-Turner Drill press. So which came first the chicken or the egg?

My drill press came from the Hanford Nuclear Area. It was deemed obsolete (motor mount plate was broken) and set outside. When an opportune time came it was donated to J.M. Perry Institute, a local trade school. They in turn had much more modern equipment that was not broken so it went to the electrical department. They had no use so it just sat, outside, neglected.

While attending a continuing education class for my electrical trade I saw it and inquired of the department lead just what the story was. Ken filled me in and said it was probably headed for the scrap yard. I saw my signal to jump. A $100 donation to the picnic and party fund for the electrical section and it was mine.

It was originally a dark grey but had about four coats of a dark sky blue slopped all over it. Between that and the rust it was flat butt ugly. I then took it to a fellow who soda blasted it for me to bare metal. The broken casting was brazed and repaired. The half horse motor was three phase so I acquired one in single phase. No fit. The way it mounts made it a no go. The original motor matched nothing in normal NEMA frame sizes without rebuilding the whole top end. Mostly not wanting to change the looks of the machine I reinstalled the original motor and picked up a single to three phase VFD. Best deal yet. I set a control panel high next to the quill feed and have forward, reverse, stop, speed, and overload reset at the tips of my fingers. Could not be sweeter. Especially when one of the grandkids jams it up. It just trips out and in about fifteen seconds you can reset and go again. No harm, no foul. Add on about six cans of Dove grey shaker can and some black trim and it is a working fool now. A cool/lube system was set inside too. What a difference that makes drilling half inch holes in half inch material.

I tried one of those add-a phase units before the VFD. A can with a contactor and a couple capacitors in it. WHAT A POS. That thing was almost $200 and went in the trash. The VFD was $235 and is SWEET. Mother nature and machinery make three phase and it can not be duplicated correctly with a pile of
s--t. You either have power less three phase due to bad phase angles being generated, hot motors, and or a big power bill for using ten horsepower worth of machinery to run a two horse mill. :eek:uch:

And that's the way it is in the land of Grand Coulee Dam.

Nice looking shop. In the first photo, under the wood vise is a small multi drawer tool box of some type. I've been looking for something like that. Where did you get it?

Steve t

I got it a local auction. I'm thinking of making it into a reamer cabinet. I have more pics from when I got it here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180993&page=54

- - - Updated - - -

This is kind of amazing. Your Rockwell Drill Press is a dead ringer for my Walker-Turner Drill press. So which came first the chicken or the egg?

My drill press came from the Hanford Nuclear Area. It was deemed obsolete (motor mount plate was broken) and set outside. When an opportune time came it was donated to J.M. Perry Institute, a local trade school. They in turn had much more modern equipment that was not broken so it went to the electrical department. They had no use so it just sat, outside, neglected.

While attending a continuing education class for my electrical trade I saw it and inquired of the department lead just what the story was. Ken filled me in and said it was probably headed for the scrap yard. I saw my signal to jump. A $100 donation to the picnic and party fund for the electrical section and it was mine.

It was originally a dark grey but had about four coats of a dark sky blue slopped all over it. Between that and the rust it was flat butt ugly. I then took it to a fellow who soda blasted it for me to bare metal. The broken casting was brazed and repaired. The half horse motor was three phase so I acquired one in single phase. No fit. The way it mounts made it a no go. The original motor matched nothing in normal NEMA frame sizes without rebuilding the whole top end. Mostly not wanting to change the looks of the machine I reinstalled the original motor and picked up a single to three phase VFD. Best deal yet. I set a control panel high next to the quill feed and have forward, reverse, stop, speed, and overload reset at the tips of my fingers. Could not be sweeter. Especially when one of the grandkids jams it up. It just trips out and in about fifteen seconds you can reset and go again. No harm, no foul. Add on about six cans of Dove grey shaker can and some black trim and it is a working fool now. A cool/lube system was set inside too. What a difference that makes drilling half inch holes in half inch material.

I tried one of those add-a phase units before the VFD. A can with a contactor and a couple capacitors in it. WHAT A POS. That thing was almost $200 and went in the trash. The VFD was $235 and is SWEET. Mother nature and machinery make three phase and it can not be duplicated correctly with a pile of
s--t. You either have power less three phase due to bad phase angles being generated, hot motors, and or a big power bill for using ten horsepower worth of machinery to run a two horse mill. :eek:uch:

And that's the way it is in the land of Grand Coulee Dam.

Let's see some pics! This sounds like a great restoration. Where could I look for a build date on mine so we can compare? I'm going the VFD route as well. Picked up a Hitachi L100 at the last MIT swapfest for $60 http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3121208#post3121208.

Back