It Must Nearly Be Over For Radio Shack

Bought my first crystal radio and amplifier kits from them. Used to go there all the time for circuit components and testing tubes when I somehow became the family/neighborhood radio and TV fix-it kid. :)

Like everything else, the old generation dies out and the new kids take over.

Dated a girl in high school one time and here dad was regional manager so thought maybe a gig as that was hobby...The general direction was if you knew anything then no chance as they preferred someone they could show "their way".

It explained a lot!

Not long ago the cut a deal with Sprint...never mind...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I really like Radio Shack, and will be sad to see them go. They've made a lot of bad corporate decisions, and lost their core market over the years. Sears/K-Mart is headed that direction too if they don't find their way soon.

I was in the local Radio Shack yesterday, and asked the clerk if the rumors of RS's demise were true. He said that they're still going strong. He said they no trouble getting stock, but did mention that they no longer have an actual warehouse (at least not in Oregon). I didn't get any details about where/how they're actually restocked.

Just for fun, I tried a web search for "radio shack going out of business." The only hits I got were from 2015. The search engine suggested I add 2016 to the search, but the few more recent hits seemed to be general articles about retail chains in trouble closing stores, with RS mentioned as an example. Popular Mechanics had a somewhat upbeat article:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a19703/radioshack-back/

The bottom line for me is that RS seems to be hanging on for now. Next year ... who knows?

In Canada the source took over from Radio Shack. The shack used to be my go to place for all sorts of electronic parts when I wanted them NOW.

Then I got hooked on their COCO computers and owned the COCO I, II and III. Along with various accessories that went with them.

Oh yes and prior to that built EICO tuner and stereo amplifier, oscilloscope and various Heath Kit things like small engine tune up analyser, transistor tester, color tv color alignment thingy.

If it wasn't for those guys I wouldn't have got started in electronics. Perhaps they weren't the top of the line but they were affordable. Sort of like the discussion with have with imported machine tools. If I didn't have access to imported machine tools at the prices I can afford I wouldn't be able to enjoy the machining that I can today.

David

And then there was Lafayette Electronics and Olson. This could date a few people, including myself.
Yes and don't forget Heathkit...

Yes, I remember them all, plus some local and "surplus" outfits. The really bad thing is there is no even somewhat local place to get electronic related components, tools, kits, or any of the things we grew used to having available. Not that RS was such a great supplier, but after they ran everyone else out, they are/were? the only source. Sure you can get it all online, and usually at a very low price, so if U can, why does not a retailer like RS get and still sell at a profit?? Has anyone seen or received a RS mail order catalog....do they still exist?

My best friend Donna has worked for the shack for several years. They did in fact go thru a bankruptcy and various re-org contortions. Currently partnering with Sprint. She said the poor parts situation should be temporary as they are repackaging many items and having to find new vendors for some others. The focus of the store is more on phones and phone accessories, headphones, portable speakers, etc. than it was before, but they are trying to keep a good stock of parts too. They sell a LOT of electronic toys and kits during the holiday season.
Mark S.

Back