Issues with holding end mills in Beall collet chuck on a Sherline mill

neonachronism

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
I have what's essentially a Sherline 5400 mill with a 15" column (I say essentially only since it started off as a vertical lathe column to which I added a base). For those who saw my previous post, I'm back to using the regular column (and I actually damaged the previous column quite badly, so I bought a new one very recently). Additionally, I only just got the headstock; I was previously sharing between the lathe and mill. So while I've been using the mill (and probably abusing it, I'm new to this) for maybe 6 months, most of the important bits are pretty new.

Since first getting the mill, I always felt that it wasn't as rigid as it it should be, only being capable of a 20 or 30 thou DOC and maybe 50 thou stepover with a snail's pace feed rate or else producing terrible vibration and screeching. For a long time, I wasn't sure if that was normal or not - this is my first experience with a mill, so I don't have much to compare to. The main source of doubt was the Sherline insert fly cutter, which would take 50 - 75 thou DOC on an inch-wide part all day without barely a complaint. So for the most part, I was assuming I didn't have the skill level to reach the mill's potential.

I bought a Beall ER32 collet chuck when I got the mill based on all the recommendations I've seen, and have essentially always used it. Well, about a week ago, I used a Sherline end mill holder instead of the Beall collet chuck since I had a cramped setup and the chuck would have run in to a clamp. I was shocked at how much smoother things ran with the end mill holder. I could take cuts there were simultaneously far deeper, with greater stepover, and faster feed than with the collet chuck. I've been using it with the end mill holder ever since, and its night and day. The mill finally feels exactly as I assumed it should.

Everyone here has spoken very highly of the Beall collet chuck, and I haven't been able to find any reports of issues like mine, so I assume I'm doing something wrong (or have damaged the chuck somehow).

Some context:
  • I almost always work with 6061 aluminum.
  • In the past, my two main end mills were the Sherline 3/8th shank double-ended end mills (usually the 3/8th cutter width) and a 3/8th roughing end mill from LMS. Lately, I've been using a 3/8th high helix end mill from McMaster-Carr instead of the Sherline end mill.
  • I almost always use Nikx Stikx, applied to the end mill, and periodically cleaned off and reapplied to remove stuck chips.
  • I use convention cuts, except for an occasional 1 or 2 thou finishing climb cut
  • When I ordered the Beall chuck, I did not say it was for a Sherline machine (I must have missed this suggestion the first time around, and saw it when looking for posts describing my issue).
  • I started out using the Beall collets, but have since switched to Techniks (which I haven't also been using in the lathe), and did not see a large improvement.
  • I'm still using the stock Beall nut. I was considering getting a better one for an incremental improvement, but am now convinced I'm seeing greater issues at play.
My first thought was to give everything a good cleaning. I wiped down the spindle nose, collet chuck, and end mill holder with isopropyl alcohol, and cleaned the threads with a brass brush. This didn't have much of affect (though they were all quite dirty).

Next, I measured the various runouts. I'm still new at this, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if my values were off, but I think I'm fairly consistent, so the trends should be useful. (I know about cosine error, but I still find it tricky to get the tip in just the right position and orientation). I have a Mitutoyo half-thou DTI, so the tenths I report are estimates.

I'm seeing about 3 tenths in both the spindle taper and the face (is that what it's called? the flat part, that the threads pull the chuck against)
I see about 1-1.5 thou in the ID of the end mill holder and the collet chuck's taper, and 1.5-2 thou on an actual end mill.
There's quite a bit of variation when I take these measurements, so its hard to make a direct comparison, but I'd hazard the end mill holder has a bit less runout than the collet chuck.
I understand that the 3 tenths in the spindle taper/face is within specification, but the rest seems quite high. That being said, were runout my issue, I would have expected greater variation between the end mill holder and the collet chuck.

One final observation - when cleaning the collet chuck, I found these scratches in the taper. I assume they're caused by tightening the nut with the collet not properly seated (not that I can recall doing that).

2021-03-03 16.38.02.jpg

So, does all this indicate any particular issue?
Is it worth trying a better quality nut, or even a whole new collet chuck?

Thanks in advance,
Elliot

Hi Elliot,

One thing I did NOT see mentioned above was one possibly non-obvious thing with the Beall ER32 chuck.

Are you locking the ER-32 collet into the nut _before_ you insert the collet into chuck?

There is a non-concentric ring inside the nut that needs to lock into the groove here:
er-32_collet.jpg

That allows the nut to pull the collet from the chuck when you loosen the threads.

-brino

I would guess the Sherline holder sticks out much less? That would explain some of it
-Mark

Welcome to HM, Elliot!

Your spindle has okay run out. You can get it better with decent bearings. I have SKF ABEC3's and have about 0.0001" TIR.

Beall chucks tend to be pretty accurate BUT you have to use the right chuck. Beall chucks register on the spindle register, that flat face on the spindle you referred to above. Beall sells two forms of their 3/4-16 chuck; one for Sherline, one for Taig. If you got the Taig version then the chuck is not seating on the register and must rely on just the spindle threads which are obviously not accurate at all. I suspect this is the cause of your issues with this chuck.

A Beall chuck is a solid piece of work and it is pretty accurate. Mine has about 0.0001"TIR inside the spindle taper; with good collets it is the most accurate, solid way to hold an end mill on a Sherline mill. It is so good that I gave away my end mill holders because they suck compared to my Beall chuck.

My suggestion to you is to contact Beall and see if you can send the chuck back and have them machine the back of the chuck to fit a Sherline spindle. Or you can do it yourself if you have access to a larger lathe that can handle the chuck diameter. Then reassess the run out and I suspect you will find the Beall chuck to be a superior tool holding device.

I sent the email, and quickly received a response saying that they do not have the capability of machining a special register, that such a thing would be very expensive, and that I was the first to make such a request.

At this point, I assumed I described my request poorly, explained that I was under the impression that I was requesting something they already produce, and for clarification, I asked whether they sell a chuck for Sherline machines (leaving out any technical terms I may have used incorrectly the first time).

This was about a week ago, and I have yet to receive a response.

I know I'm new to this, so I really hope I didn't offend anyone. I was careful to not make an insinuations about the quality of the chuck or imply that my experiences were due to anyone fault other than my own. I also don't want to cause problems for Beall by exposing private communications, so let me know if this post isn't appropriate.

They make chucks to fit the Sherline or Taig, each with a different register. In the past, I communicated by email with Mr. Beall himself and had no problems discussing this with him as he is familiar with the difference. Perhaps a phone call and direct communication with him might be more fruitful?

Ok, I'm not usually able to make personal calls during business hours, but I guess I'll have to make time at some point.

Thanks again.

Beall chucks tend to be pretty accurate BUT you have to use the right chuck. Beall chucks register on the spindle register, that flat face on the spindle you referred to above. Beall sells two forms of their 3/4-16 chuck; one for Sherline, one for Taig. If you got the Taig version then the chuck is not seating on the register and must rely on just the spindle threads which are obviously not accurate at all. I suspect this is the cause of your issues with this chuck.
Here is a photo of the seating end of the Beall chuck that I purchased for my Sherline lathe, in January 2020. I don't remember specifying that it was for Sherline, when I placed the order. The item on the invoice states, "LA CHUCK 3416". The description on the invoice states, "3/4-16 CHUCK BODY, NUT & SPANNER".
DSCF6115 Beall 3l4-16 collet chuck.jpg
I hope someone lets me know if this chuck is the wrong version for Sherline.

I would like to see a photo of the Taig version of the chuck.

Karl

Back