Is this supposed to be a key for a r8 collet?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Looking up the spindle I see this. Is that supposed to be a key? Also what’s the procedure for repairing that?

Attachments

• IMG_2271.jpeg
    IMG_2271.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 35
Caution: Apparently, the quill nut on a Bridgeport is right hand but on my clone it's left hand. Or the other way around, can't remember. Caused a bit of confusion.

Out and never missed. As long as you keep every clean and not covered in grease etc should never have an issue with the key missing.
Pierre

It will be difficult to remove being deformed, and on mine I had to dress the hole to smooth it out, I also remove mine permanently. I was told it's a guide, not an anti spin devise.

I think it is an anti spin device for tightening and loosening the draw bar. If you get the draw bar bound in the collet how else would you hold the collet to turn the draw bar.

I've got a buddy who chronically failed to wear his seat belt.
A couple of weeks ago he was in a head on collision.
For the next month or so he will have a rod sticking out about 6" on both sides of his right ankle and those are connected to two rods anchored with a screw into his shin.
I have no idea, at this time, how difficult the rehab will be or about the long term prognosis.
Some people think they know better about all sorts of things.
If you think you know better than the fellows responsible for the R8 spindle design . . .

Back