Is This Possible On A Mill?

One thing to remember, even if you could set up and cut the thread on the mill, the Bridgeport mill more than likely has a 5 pitch english leadscrew on it. It would need to be a metric leadscrew in order to cut metric threads. Be the same issue on a lathe, too. As for using transposing gears on the mill to cut metric pitches, never heard of anyone doing it, but anything is possible. A programmable fourth axis would be the way to go on a mill. Ken

Well I appreciate the input it definitely gives me something to think about, one thing I should mention is its a series 2 standard I don't know if the lead screw on that is any different from the series 1 tho. If anyone has any links on the process I'm really interested In learning! I found this link that kind of explains what I was thinking about but I would need to tilt my head close to 90°! https://johnfsworkshop.org/home/mak...-helical-gears-on-a-vertical-milling-machine/ I'm gonna look into the whole cnc programing thing and 4th axis thing and see if that's something I could do...

It seems like the direction of the thread is to mill the threads using a dividing head. Since the OP will now be in the market for a dividing head, be sure that the dividing head is a Universal Dividing Head and not "Semi-universal" The universal dividing head will have a tail off the rear end that attaches to the drive train and the table.
The cost of a good universal dividing head plus the gearing to connect to the table plus the attachment for the gears to attach to the table and the list goes on... would be more than what a nice used lathe would cost.
Attached is a page from a VanNorman accessories brochure showing the VN 10" dividing head. I think that all Van Norman dividing heads are the universal style. In the used (and New) market the semi-universal style dividing head is much more common than a universal. Also, a universal dividing head must match the mill.
While I think that collecting tooling for your mill is a great idea; I have my doubts about the practically of using the mill to cut your threads.
I have never found a used universal dividing head with all the attachments necessary to connect the travel of the table with the rotation of the dividing head. Seems like all the necessary bits and pieces get separated from each other.

Maybe someone can machine your metric threads for you on their lathe? What about a tap and die?

Attachments

• 10 inch Vertical Swivel (Universal) Dividing Head.pdf
    177.7 KB · Views: 11
I didn't think they made taps and dies that big! I would need a specialized handle to drive the dies tho wouldn't I? I'm honestly open to ideas on how to get this done. Gearing would be tricky as the dividing head would have to spin relatively quickly in relation to the X-axis movement. And no matter which way I slice it I'd like to tool up my mill and get a lathe but I can't do both. cheapest lathe I can find around here is about 2k. I have a line on a universal brown and sharp dividing head with plates and tail stock he only wants 250 for that and an older Kurt milling vice, I don't have a vice yet either so that's a pretty good deal I think. I may end up just paying to have the other 2 made for me :( unless someone knows someone around the Ontario area with a cheap lathe id like it to be at least 15" in-between chuck and tail stock.

I have a line on a universal brown and sharp dividing head with plates and tail stock he only wants 250 for that and an older Kurt milling vice

Sounds like a deal. Might want to snap that up. Even if you never use it for the shock body.

That is a really great price for a dividing head and a Kurt vise, don't let it get away from you. Check out Keith Rucker of Vintage Machinery . org on YouTube. He showed the tear-down and clean-up of a BS style dividing head

Last edited:
Man, I used to have a B & S universal dividing head with most of the gears and the mill I used it on, too. It's long gone.

I think before I dumped $$$$ into all of this tooling, I think a good lathe would fit the bill and give you much less headaches getting it to work for you. I realize you have the mill, but to get it set up to make that part is going to be an expensive investment compared to buying a lathe setup ready to go. Just my honest opinion. Ken

Like I said I would love to have a lathe but I honestly can't find one that suits my needs for any less than 2k but I have a line on cheap tooling for this mill because of the guy retiring, he's got one of those metal shipping containers filled to the ceiling with tooling for this mill that he's almost giving away with what he's asking for them

That being the case, I would be over there buying whatever you can afford. The Kurt vise and B&S dividing head sound like a screaming deal. You might also take your shock tube with you and ask him how he would do it on your mill since there is a chance that he may have the tooling in the container.

Back