Is this part of a sensitive drill attachment?

ericc

Active User
Registered
Hi. I was digging through a box of Craigslist lathe parts and found what looks like the business end of a sensitive drill attachment for a lathe. It has a gear press fit on the 1/2" shank, and there is a little 0-1/4" drill chuck with a 3/8-18 thread. The funny thing is that the sliding portion is so short. It is just a little over half an inch. Presumably, the small end is for a spring. I was wondering if this was enough, or does it need modification. The other odd thing is that the sliding portion has a very rough turned finish, as if it were turned with a tool having insufficient tip radius. Maybe it isn't a lathe sensitive drill attachment? Ox tool co's video and Cazual Haze have quite a bit more engagement, and it would seem that a smoother finish would be more appropriate for a sliding fit.

Attachments

• sensdril.jpg
    sensdril.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
it looks to me as just a chuck that came from a hand drill and a shaft that fit with a 3/8-18" thread. the sleeve with a cut out may have been a homemade bushing. the gear probably has nothing to do with it. I have many nice hand chucks that I have saved with many shafts that have the correct threaded end to fit the chuck. I have at least 30 that look the same as yours, ready for future projects.
Dave

Straight shank drill chuck .

Straight shank drill chuck .
how did you locate the old thread "how many drill chucks are enough" ? my picture of some of mine was #4 response. I was suprised that you just replied to that thread. that was back in 2013

how did you locate the old thread "how many drill chucks are enough" ? my picture of some of mine was #4 response. I was suprised that you just replied to that thread. that was back in 2013
??????????????

LOL , who knows , it just popped up . But yeah , I'll play along and raise everyone 15 chucks ! :big grin:

I don't see an image that Dave Smith is talking about, or thread. the only image I see is the first in #1..
is there another????
look at the old thread "how many drill chucks are enough" my images of part of mine are #4

Back