Is there value in finished projects?

Canadian Gp

Registered
Registered
My Father was an engineer on the Canadian National railway for 38 years and when he retired 27 years ago he started gathering equipment for his basement machine shop. He built dozens of engines of all kinds over the years but now he is in bad health and needs move to a small room in a nursing home and has no room left for his remaining projects. He could use some extra cash for medical bills and I'm wondering if there is any value in what remains. I'll have pics in a few days.

Yes, I think the is value in finished projects from his shop and from the machines in it if you choose to sell them. At least your father had 27 years of retirement and lots of fun in his home shop.
Michael

Every thing has a value but its all about how much time and effort you are prepared to invest to maximise your profit. In your case the best possible way would be to enlist an expert in tooling etc. (your dad) - buy him a laptop and teach him how to use Ebay and then take stacks of pics of his kit and let him have the pics/files. He should be able to do the rest.

Other than that then you are at the mercy of the sharks.

If I was any where near you I would willingly advise but Ontario is a long way from Buckinghamshire.

Rik

Thanks for the advice but he is no longer capable of makeing rational decisions especially placing a price on something he spent hundreds of hours building. Here are a few pictures of the ones he has no room for. I added the 2" anvil for scale and sorry about adding in the John Deere pictures..........OOPS

031.JPG032.JPG033.JPG034.JPG035.JPG036.JPG037.JPG038.JPG039.JPG040.JPG041.JPG042.JPG043.JPG044.JPG

031.JPG 032.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG 035.JPG 036.JPG 037.JPG 038.JPG 039.JPG 040.JPG 041.JPG 042.JPG 043.JPG 044.JPG

Have you considered contacting a local model engineering club or group? They may be interested. That's very nice work, BTW. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Have you considered contacting a local model engineering club or group? They may be interested. That's very nice work, BTW. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Thanks. I did do a search but came up empty.

These are his least favourites, his 4 Grandsons were each given one, he has many in his room and of course I have several.

Always interesting seeing other people's projects. I hope you are able to sell them.

I'm not sure on a high paying market for them--but I would rather they stayed in the family--does he have granddaughters also--if so they need at least one and the rest divided up amongst them all---could be all kept in the family that way--once they are sold you lose track of them and no longer able to represent his accomplishments--how about his tools and machines--tools that were grandpas or great grandpas are something special to have in your shop--just my opinion--Dave----*** he did very nice work!!

Thanks Dave. I had no room for his lathe, milling machine or numerous other equipment he had, we sold them off years ago when he first moved to his condo. I kept many of his older hand tools and tried to get new pieces handed out to the boys (no girls in the family)

Back