Is there a metal that when cross contaminated with iron or steel rust become a toxin that is deadly?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi guys,
I was researching all over the web for the last 72 hours , and can't relocate the thread on this apparent danger.
Does anyone have an idea what this thread is specifically pointing to, or where thus thread may be.
I have tried the search and no results came that were what I was looking for.
Thanks,
Jon

Re: Is there a metal that when cross contaminated with iron or steel rust become a toxin that is dea

Hi guys,
I was researching all over the web for the last 72 hours , and can't relocate the thread on this apparent danger.
Does anyone have an idea what this thread is specifically pointing to, or where thus thread may be.
I have tried the search and no results came that were what I was looking for.
Thanks,
Jon

I've never heard such a thing. It's very unlikely to be true.

Re: Is there a metal that when cross contaminated with iron or steel rust become a toxin that is dea

Discussions of manufacturing and/or mixing dangerous materials should not appear in the forum in my opinion.
Never know who is reading.:shush:

The only "dangerous" mix of metals I can think of that fit that description is aluminum powder and iron oxide, they make up thermite. It's not toxic in any way but if somehow lit (takes a LOT of heat to set it off) it can be dangerous in a shop environment (think grinder) when not expected.

-Ron

Nothing that you are likely to encounter in a normal shop. A DoD facility maybe. Zirconium, Titanium, and Magnesium can be a fire hazard, but are not toxic in any state that we would normally encounter.

We used to use beryllium copper in some injection molds and were very careful not to do any machining operations that would produce sparks because as we understood the smoke was extremely poisonous. Other than that I haven't come across any combinations that are dangerous. Well maybe machining D2 tool steel. It was such a pain to machine it produced a large amount of profanity!

John

Cadmium plating would be toxic if vaporized (welding) or as dust wire-brushed off, but that has nothing to do with rust.

The only "dangerous" mix of metals I can think of that fit that description is aluminum powder and iron oxide, they make up thermite. It's not toxic in any way but if somehow lit (takes a LOT of heat to set it off) it can be dangerous in a shop environment (think grinder) when not expected.

-Ron
Thanks Ron,
i was having A senior's moment ant meant flammable or dangerous, not Toxic.
Thank You for answering that for me, when I had first read about it, I was surprised I had not been warned of this potential danger.
Here is the thread that lead to my post here, both are my posts actually, I mean I started them.
BrassC
Re: Safety concerns for grinding wheels?
Aluminium dust also.has a habit of mixing with iron oxide powder to make.thermite - there have been a few serious accidents where both have been ground on the.same machine and steel sparks have lit the mixture, 3rd degree burns although I haven't heard of.fatalities...
so this paragraph got me concerned as to what is the best way to prevent this from ever happening?
Thanks,
jon

Back