Is Motor Reverse Really Necessary?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yes, I'm a lathe newbie. OK, so with that outta the way. :D

So I'm wiring up my vfd while the paint dries on my Heavy 10 and I'm wondering about using reverse on a lathe. Is it really necessary to have the ability to reverse the motor on a lathe? I've always said it's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. What have you, the reader, used reverse for? Thanks.

Last edited:
the only thing i have ever used reverse for is grinding any thing else i'd fear the chuck coming loose.
steve

the only thing i have ever used reverse for is grinding any thing else i'd fear the chuck coming loose.
steve

Before I bought my Heavy 10 I was nervous about the the whole "chuck spinning off" thing. It's usually because of guys reversing their spindles/motors before letting the spindle slow down enough. It can be made a lot more secure by using a simple shaft collar on the smaller ID on the backplate and bolting it down tight. I don't remember where I read it but there's a guy who's been using this method on his threaded spindle for years without a chuck spin-off since. The shaft collar would go around $25-$40 depending on your spindle size.

we were trying to figure out "why" we would run the lathe in reverse right? i'm curious about using reverse for anything else besides what i suggested also .mine has a lock tab to keep it from coming completely off but it will come loose.
steve

I did some knurling today on a knob I fabricated for my bandsaw today. The South Bend book say's to auto feed the knurling tool and then reverse it at the end to make sure the tool maintains contact with the work piece. That is the first time I have used the knurling tool, and the reverse switch on my South Bend 10K. It worked perfectly.

we were trying to figure out "why" we would run the lathe in reverse right? i'm curious about using reverse for anything else besides what i suggested also .mine has a lock tab to keep it from coming completely off but it will come loose.
steve

:) Yep, but since you mentioned about the chuck possibly spinning loose I thought I'd mention what I did.

I agree that I can't think of too many instances...actually only a few, where you'd want to reverse the motor. Knurling, as macrnr pointed out, and maybe tapping. I guess the main thing would be threading when you don't have a thread dial and need to go back for successive passes, right? That's about all I can think of, but like I said Steve. I'm a newbie. :p

So far, my only use has been as a brake... Haven't had a spin off issue... I can see it's use for threading though, especially if you're doing a real odd thread...

steve

I ocasionally do Metric threading on my SB 9" using 127/100 translation gears. With an inch leadscrew There are no threading dials for this arrangement so reversing the motor is needed.

If you've got your chuck locked where it won't spin off threading from the chuck out with the tool upside down and the motor in reverse is better for threading from a shoulder as you don't have to stop the motor or pull out the toolbit. At work on our lathes I almost always thread from the spindle to the tailstock instead of the other way around.

Reversing is not used much, but still needed. I do as mcruff has mentioned for threading away from the chuck. Some threading jobs will need to keep the half nuts closed, and reverse is needed. Tapping under power is another instance too. Regrinding your chucks with a tool post grinder, again reverse.

If you hooking up a VFD, its just a push of the button. You will see times when you would use it. If you have a screw on chuck, then you might want to install a collar so it can,t spin right off on you. I use reverse more I guess, as my spindle is a L-1 type, and cant un screw because its allso keyed.

Back