Introduction - New Atlas Lathe Owner

Red Beard Ops

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

I made this video as an introduction and to "show off" my new Atlas Lathe. I got this guys from my father who had it in a back shed and am extremely excited to start playing with it.

I'm a knife maker and youtuber... and I plan on using this guy to make fasteners, finniels, pomel nuts, etc. Will probably be making a good deal of tools with it as well.

I've been gathering up a few questions and this forum seems like the best place on the internet to get answers on these lathes. I'm new to lathes... so I apologize if some of these are very basic... newbish.

• How do I classify/name this lathe?
    • Based on the 10D-247 and some other searches I've been doing I think I would call this a 10''x24'' lathe. This first number is the swing,right? With a tape measure the distance between the center and table is about 6'', so wouldn't the swing be a 12''?
  • Does the 101.07361 give a good indication of date of manufacture?
    • Looking though the Atlas DB yall have in the stickies, I only found one that matched and it was dated in the 1030s.
  • Is the vibration in the video normal?
    • It appears that someone installed a replacement motor on this lathe
    • Maybe I need new V-Blets?
  • It had an 8'' chuck on it. This seemed large to me, is it the normal size for this machine?
  • Are there limitations to using 1/4'' tooling? Just seems small in comparison to what I've been seeing online.
  • Any other suggestions on checks, cleaning, tooling, etc
Cheers guys,
I'm super happy I found this Forum,
James
Red Beard Ops

Welcome to the forum. You will definitely get the answers to whatever questions that you have.
Your lathe is an early Craftsman 12 inch lathe. Forum member wa5cab will chime in here with all of the info you need on your lathe. I believe that 4670S is the serial number. That will be the best indicator of when your lathe was built.

We love to help people spend their money on accessories for their lathes and other machinery. Tell us what you have and we will go from there.

I have a Craftsman 12x36. The 8" chuck is a common size chuck for your lathe. I have two 8" chucks for my lathe. I mostly use 1/4" and 3/8" tool bits. The size of the tool bit somewhat depends on what you are doing. I have some 1/8" tool bits that I use with my small boring bars.

One of your first decisions will be what type of tool post holder to use. Your video shows a lantern style tool post. These are not the easiest to use. Most people go to a quick change tool post (QCTP). You can buy them, $$$$$$$, or make one, $. The big cost is not the tool post but the tool holders. You will need at least 10 tool holders. You can never have too many tool holders. Because I was and still am a newbie at this hobby I chose to make a norman style QCTP. It was a great learning experience. Time consuming.

A must read is Mikeys very, very long thread on grinding tool bits. I can not over stress how important it is to have properly ground sharp tool bits.

In watching your video to me it sounded like your lathe needs to be lubricated. There are a lot of lube points and they need to be lubed every time you use your lathe. If you don't have one get a needle oiler. Makes it easy to lubricate your lathe.

Again welcome to the forum.

Hi James. Welcome to the forum.
I can't help you with identifying your lathe, but we have some Atlas experts around here that should turn up soon.
They can help. Looks like your lathe is in good condition. One change you should consider is the addition
of a quick change tool post since your lathe has the original lantern style post. There is some cost for the post
and the tool holders, but they make life much easier in the long run.

Edit: well I guess someone showed up before I could post...

Good morning, Sir. And welcome aboard the board. One that can stand my "sea stories" is well worth being a regular to. I am not that familiar with the series numbers. Mine is a Craftsman 101.27440, btw, 12X36. The grandson of yours, I think. It dates from the early 50s but has a couple of newer modifications. Most particularly, a quick change threading/feed selector box. The 101.07361 marks it as a Craftsman machine. Both the Atlas and Sears machines are essentially the same. Where the Atlas has a 10" swing, the Sears Craftsman has 12" capacity.

I think the Craftsman is a little "flimsier" than the Atlas, mostly from the size difference. But otherwise the same. For their size, they (both Atlas & Craftsman) are not the most rigid machines in their class. But are quite suitable for casual use. The "lantern" tool post that you show is the original design. It is frustrating for a noob to set up but its' use goes back a hundred years or more and is well worth learning how to use. I would highly recommend a quick change design although I do keep my lantern post handy for occasional use. There are always a few things that must be done the "old way" on any machine.

One of the ships I was on (in the 70s) had the electric shop on one side and a machine like your's on the other. We didn't have a machinist as such in the crew, but the machine was used by a number of people in different shops. I learned how to set the machine up with a lantern tool post and 4 jaw chuck. Essentially the "old school" way. Having learned on a "homade" machine, I knew what I wanted to do. Just needed to figure out how on a proper machine.

One of your largest concerns seems to be vibration. Mine doesn't. Something is "out of balance", likely the chuck. Your's is a rather large 4 jaw independent chuck. I would say to remove it and see if the machine still vibrates. The 4 jaw is only truely balanced when all four jaws are set to the same depth. Not necessarily but I would look there first. You've had the chuck in hand, you know it's heavy. Short of the head stock and bed frame, probably the heaviest part of the machine. If that's not the cause, I'd look to the pulleys. There are several large ones. It wouldn't take much to throw one off balance.

Keep us up to date. There is a "sub section" particular to the Atlas/Craftsman machines. One of them will chime in eventually.

Welcome, James. You'll find some great folks here to help you spend your money on tooling! There are some very knowledgeable people here and most will go out of their way to help someone.

That looks like a nice machine you've got there. With the down-turn in the oilfield of late, keep your eyes open for auctions and people selling tooling. I've seen a couple of listings recently in your area. You can often pick up tooling for pennies on the dollar if you hit the right auction or sale.

Good to see another Texican here. I'm over in McCulloch County near Brady.

Welcome to the forum. You will definitely get the answers to whatever questions that you have.
Your lathe is an early Craftsman 12 inch lathe. Forum member wa5cab will chime in here with all of the info you need on your lathe. I believe that 4670S is the serial number. That will be the best indicator of when your lathe was built.

We love to help people spend their money on accessories for their lathes and other machinery. Tell us what you have and we will go from there.

I have a Craftsman 12x36. The 8" chuck is a common size chuck for your lathe. I have two 8" chucks for my lathe. I mostly use 1/4" and 3/8" tool bits. The size of the tool bit somewhat depends on what you are doing. I have some 1/8" tool bits that I use with my small boring bars.

One of your first decisions will be what type of tool post holder to use. Your video shows a lantern style tool post. These are not the easiest to use. Most people go to a quick change tool post (QCTP). You can buy them, $$$$$$$, or make one, $. The big cost is not the tool post but the tool holders. You will need at least 10 tool holders. You can never have too many tool holders. Because I was and still am a newbie at this hobby I chose to make a norman style QCTP. It was a great learning experience. Time consuming.

A must read is Mikeys very, very long thread on grinding tool bits. I can not over stress how important it is to have properly ground sharp tool bits.

In watching your video to me it sounded like your lathe needs to be lubricated. There are a lot of lube points and they need to be lubed every time you use your lathe. If you don't have one get a needle oiler. Makes it easy to lubricate your lathe.

Again welcome to the forum.

Thank you sir, good information right there. I think you may be right on the lubrication. I topped off all the oilers with some 3&1.

I ran the lathe for 8 min and the temperature of these housings raised as follows:

A - 90F to 118F
B - 87F to 95F
C - 87F to 95F

Not sure if that means anything...

To start off and get me in the game I'm looking at the AXA 100 series for the quick change post. Seems like it only needs light modification for the Atlas Lathes. While I enjoy tool making projects, I have other items on the list to knock out first!

Hi James. Welcome to the forum.
I can't help you with identifying your lathe, but we have some Atlas experts around here that should turn up soon.
They can help. Looks like your lathe is in good condition. One change you should consider is the addition
of a quick change tool post since your lathe has the original lantern style post. There is some cost for the post
and the tool holders, but they make life much easier in the long run.

Edit: well I guess someone showed up before I could post...

Thank you sir! Duly noted

Good morning, Sir. And welcome aboard the board. One that can stand my "sea stories" is well worth being a regular to. I am not that familiar with the series numbers. Mine is a Craftsman 101.27440, btw, 12X36. The grandson of yours, I think. It dates from the early 50s but has a couple of newer modifications. Most particularly, a quick change threading/feed selector box. The 101.07361 marks it as a Craftsman machine. Both the Atlas and Sears machines are essentially the same. Where the Atlas has a 10" swing, the Sears Craftsman has 12" capacity.

I think the Craftsman is a little "flimsier" than the Atlas, mostly from the size difference. But otherwise the same. For their size, they (both Atlas & Craftsman) are not the most rigid machines in their class. But are quite suitable for casual use. The "lantern" tool post that you show is the original design. It is frustrating for a noob to set up but its' use goes back a hundred years or more and is well worth learning how to use. I would highly recommend a quick change design although I do keep my lantern post handy for occasional use. There are always a few things that must be done the "old way" on any machine.

One of the ships I was on (in the 70s) had the electric shop on one side and a machine like your's on the other. We didn't have a machinist as such in the crew, but the machine was used by a number of people in different shops. I learned how to set the machine up with a lantern tool post and 4 jaw chuck. Essentially the "old school" way. Having learned on a "homade" machine, I knew what I wanted to do. Just needed to figure out how on a proper machine.

One of your largest concerns seems to be vibration. Mine doesn't. Something is "out of balance", likely the chuck. Your's is a rather large 4 jaw independent chuck. I would say to remove it and see if the machine still vibrates. The 4 jaw is only truely balanced when all four jaws are set to the same depth. Not necessarily but I would look there first. You've had the chuck in hand, you know it's heavy. Short of the head stock and bed frame, probably the heaviest part of the machine. If that's not the cause, I'd look to the pulleys. There are several large ones. It wouldn't take much to throw one off balance.

Keep us up to date. There is a "sub section" particular to the Atlas/Craftsman machines. One of them will chime in eventually.

Thanks for the information sir! It's great to learn about these older machines... I'm happy to put this one back in service!

I took the chuck off and am still having around the same level of vibration.

Welcome, James. You'll find some great folks here to help you spend your money on tooling! There are some very knowledgeable people here and most will go out of their way to help someone.

That looks like a nice machine you've got there. With the down-turn in the oilfield of late, keep your eyes open for auctions and people selling tooling. I've seen a couple of listings recently in your area. You can often pick up tooling for pennies on the dollar if you hit the right auction or sale.

Good to see another Texican here. I'm over in McCulloch County near Brady.

Good idea! I'll have to jump on the craig's list and ebay to take a look. Thanks for the tips, sir. God bless Texas.

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 17
Also note: With the drive pulleys running and the "spindle pulleys" dis engaged... there is very little vibration.

Some other thoughts, I sorta think slow(er) these days.
  • How do I classify/name this lathe?
    • Based on the 10D-247 and some other searches I've been doing I think I would call this a 10''x24'' lathe. This first number is the swing,right? With a tape measure the distance between the center and table is about 6'', so wouldn't the swing be a 12''?
  • Does the 101.07361 give a good indication of date of manufacture?
    • Looking though the Atlas DB yall have in the stickies, I only found one that matched and it was dated in the 1030s.
  • Is the vibration in the video normal?
    • It appears that someone installed a replacement motor on this lathe
    • Maybe I need new V-Blets?
  • It had an 8'' chuck on it. This seemed large to me, is it the normal size for this machine?
  • Are there limitations to using 1/4'' tooling? Just seems small in comparison to what I've been seeing online.

1,2: It is definitely a 12 inch swing machine. The distance between centers is a close approximation for the other half of the size. As I stated, mine is a 12x36, for what that's worth. I think that for a while, the Craftsman line had 12, 24, and 36 inch between centers. The "10D-247" is a casting number. It would reference an Atlas part (original manufacturer) that may well fit a number of machines. The "101.07361" is a part number for Craftsman, in this case a complete machine. It will indicate a date range only in when Sears sold that particular machine. As I stated, mine is a 101.27440, a later model that dates to the early 50s. Craftsman lathes were built by Atlas with an extra 1" above the bed. They are otherwise virtually identical to the Atlas line.

3: I didn't see any serious vibration in the video. Such a judgement is highly personal. Having run it without the chuck, any vibration must come from a pulley out of balance. Or possibly the motor. . . A single phase machine doesn't run as smooth as a 3 phase does. I have retrofitted the original retrofit motor on mine. I used a 1/3 HP Baldor "Farm Duty" motor, simply because I like that motor. The original Craftsman motors (I have several) had a "flat pack" capacitor which is not a standard part. Finding a replacement is a hit or miss proposition, on a good day. The simplest solution is to replace the motor with known, available parts. "V belts" are your call. I would recommend machine belts as opposed to automotive belts. Though in the past, I have run a nylon stocking in an emergency. Back in the early 70s in the Arizona desert. Ya do what ya gotta do. . .

4: The 8" chuck is at the high end. I have a 4" and a 5" 3 jaw and a 5" 4 jaw scroll chuck, as well as the 8" 4 jaw independent. I also have, through an adapter, a 2-1/2" scroll chuck and a 3" 4 jaw independent. But they are specific to my work with small models. Not normally seen on serious machines. The thing to watch for is as the jaws extend beyond the chuck body they don't come in contact with the bed frame. Always rotate the machine one full turn by hand before powering it up. A 5" is a good, safe chuck for generic work.

5: 1/4" tooling is my norm. 0.025 depth of cut (DOC) is about the maximum my machine will handle. Larger tools are more rigid, but the Craftsman itself isn't that rigid. I also use a lot of 3/16 and 1/8 tooling. As well as many I have ground out of old drills for specific uses. As a startup, 1/4" tooling is fine. Although you can go larger, there really is no need. Same for smaller tools, you'll try to do something and the tool is too large. That's when you'll start grinding your own.

As an aside, carbide tooling is great for removing large amounts of metal in a hurry. But for finer finish work you may fine tool steel to be more useful. Learn to grind tool steel tools. It will save your bacon on occasion.

Edit: Afterthoughts:
The spindle pulleys have a couple of internal mating surfaces. There is one pulley, I don't recall which one, that has a setscrew that is actually an oil hole. Lube it well and replace the setscrew. Do not bottom the setscrew, just set it deep enough to close the hole. There is a "dog" that releases for running in back gears. It must be fully engaged or disengaged in use. And lastly there is another dog on the front, right, lower head stock that sets a 60 point hole circle for indexing. That dog must never be used when power is on the machine.

Lastly, it sounds like a burr or bad dirt, or a mismatch in the change gears. If there was a quick change box, I would say look there. I had to rebuild mine when I got it. Make sure the machine is out of gear.

Last edited:
James,

Welcome to H-M and to the Atlas-Craftsman Forum.

Your lathe was made in late 1937, near the end of the second year that Atlas built 12" swing lathes for Sears. It has the later "leaning" legs rather than the earlier rectangular ones as shown in the 1937 Craftsman Catalog. 101.07361 is the Sears model number which started out in 1936 as 101.07360 and ran up to 101.07363 in 1939 and 1940, after which it was discontinued. It has babbit spindle bearings and a ball-type thrust bearing. The only difference between the 101.0736x and the 101.0738x made each year is that the 0738x has back gears and 16 spindle speeds and the 101.0736x does not and has 8 spindle speeds. Otherwise, on any given production day, the two models are the same. One of the relatively easy upgrades to the 101.0736x is to add the back gears. You are lucky in that your machine still has the two gear guards which are more often than not missing. 10D-247 is one of them

Also, in any given year, most of the parts used in the Craftsman 12" (other than countershaft parts. lead screw reversing parts and those that are different because of the larger swing, such as the headstock casting) are the same as those used in the 10" that year. So many of the parts on a 12" parts list begin with 9, 10, 10A, 10D or 10F. This is also true of a few of the Atlas Shaper and Mill. So unlike GM, they didn't assign a new part number just because it was used in a more expensive model.

Unlike with the Atlas model numbers, Sears Atlas-Craftsman model numbers prior to about 1950 do not identify either the bed length or the maximum rated distance between centers. So when identifying your machine, you need to include both the model number and 12xNN where NN is a choice of (prior to 1947) 18, 24, 30 or 36. These correspond to bed lengths of 36/ 42, 48 and 54.

We do not have a parts manual for the 101.07361 but do have the flat version one on the 101.07381. So use it. The only difference is that yours doesn't have the back gears and in place of the large spindle gear has a large "toothless gear" with the 60 indexing holes in its right face mounted on the right end of the spindle.

To answer your question about 1/4" tooling, the lantern type tool post that came with the Atlas 9", 10" and Atlas-built 12" is made for 3/8" square or rectangular tooling/cutters. If you follow most of our recommendations and buy a good Quick Change Tool Post and cutter holders, the correct size for your machine is generally generically known as an AXA size. Which mostly takes 3/8" square cutters.

Besides the parts manual, you should also obtain a copy of the general operating manual for the Atlas lathes which has the rather long title of "Manual Of Lathe Operations And Machinists Tables", or MOLO for short. At any given time, there may be a dozen or more for sale on eBay. However... the Atlas MOLO was printed or reprinted in most years between 1937 and 1988. And there are ten different versions printed over the years (generally called V0 through V9). Although the bulk of the information remained the same in the different versions over that 52 years, some of it did not. And if for example you try to use a version 9 lubrication chart for your machine, it will not make any sense. Worse, if you try to use any version threading chart other than V0 or V1, you won't be happy with the results. The reason is that the change gear set changed in about 1939. From 1939 and the Atlas 10F or the Sears 101.07362, 101.07382 and 101.07402 on, there is no 96T gear used. And your machine uses two of them. Naturally, V1 is very scarce and I have never even seen or heard of any V0. And unfortunately, you would have to ask each seller who had not put a photo of the threading chart into his or her ad (and less than 1 percent of them do) whether or not the Threading Chart showed usage of a 96T gear or gears before you could know.

Because some people do have the early machines, and because Clausing can't supply the early charts, I am going to stretch a point and put a copy of a V1 MOLO into Downloads and also into Files on the Atlas-Craftsman group on groups.io.

Back