[Newbie] Introduction And Questions.

So, I'm wondering, how likely it is that I would want a 4th motor? What would I use it for? A powered rotary table? If I got the 3 controller model, would I be sorry in the future?

Go with the 4 axis board! ;) I added a stepper to my RT and have found a lot of uses for it. Makes some jobs a lot easier. I have a part coming up in the next day or so that I could do in a vice and turn it 4 times, but I'm going to hang it on the RT and just set it up one time.

upload_2016-2-26_17-33-8.png

I'm curious Jim. D., since you can convert quickly between CNC and manual operation, what percentage of the work you do is CNC vs manual?

Last edited:
I probably use CNC about 80%. I do a lot of drilling in 2 axis mode with manual Z. Sometimes I just use the axis drives as a power feed by jogging from the keyboard if I'm just facing off a part. Sometimes I just grab the cranks to do a small job. Many times I locate the part manually.

Jim H. just had to post about about the MX4660. I'm sure Jim D. is absolutely correct about just get the 4 drive.. Really I knew the answer to that already. I know all to well to do it right the first time. With 60v/6A, the MX4660 does more to future proof than the Gecko

The more I learn, the more I want. Another $100 here, another $100 there... Crap! I'm already over budget on what started out to be a little hobby project... but then, what's a guy to do?

What have I gotten into anyway? :):cautious: I like this stuff waaaaay too much!

I already had. The PM stuff and it's ilk also. Another $500 here another $500 there... It's only money..., Right? :rolleyes:

If that's the case, DONT go looking at a Tormach 1100:laughing:

Too right. Even worse with the new 440. The thing (base) creeps uncomfortably to the competitive-to-what-I-spent-to-CNC-my-Mini-Mill territory. There is even a Canadian academic distributor (hand wringing).

Back