internal threading tooling

Well I can see the benefits to the various styles of internal threading tooling. I work mainly with brass, aluminum, and mild steel. I have been able to grind HSS tooling for external threads, so I may try some of the insert type for internal threading. I have a friend that is going to give me first chance at all of his Father in laws machining stuff in the spring:thinking:

Thanks for all the replies

Rick

ray,

which type threading tool are you referring to? Just trying to get specifics so I know what not to buy!!

thanks
richard

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather I believe Ray is referring to the type like the ones pictured in this thread.

I personally like the lay down insert type holders for both internal & external. I use Carmex tools. I got mine from Enco but Curtis at latheinserts.com carries Carmex now. He's great to deal with.

I hear the Mesa tools are fairly nice with good pricing & is a great company to deal with.

ray,

which type threading tool are you referring to? Just trying to get specifics so I know what not to buy!!

thanks
richard

Well, I hate to say this but, the ones pictured in prior posts of this thread... -Juuunkk! The bits wiggle around like crazy and the crappy little set screws always strip. I had a set of those (still do, I'm thinking of how I can re-purpose them) and after I screwed-up a couple jobs with internal threads they were put out to pasture.

Inexpensive is fine -as long as it doesn't cost you money in the long run.

Ray

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather I believe Ray is referring to the type like the ones pictured in this thread.

I personally like the lay down insert type holders for both internal & external. I use Carmex tools. I got mine from Enco but Curtis at latheinserts.com carries Carmex now. He's great to deal with.

I hear the Mesa tools are fairly nice with good pricing & is a great company to deal with.

The Carmex inserts are magical... I tried them after reading/researching -and never looked back. I do believe the inserts will fit many brands of insert holder. After looking at the picture of the Mesa, I think it will fit that too. Anyhow, those carmex inserts are carbide yet, sharp as razors with a really positive upward face angle. They claim you can reduce cutting speeds by 50% and still get good finish -and it actually works. I still cut fast and it just makes the job go faster. No thread scalloping at all. I have tried other carbide threading inserts and they weren't as good

I had a job of 2" diameter stainless steel that needed 2" of threaded ends. Probably about 3-4 linear feet of thread all total. It was 18 TPI and the bit was still sharp at the end of the day...

If you read their catalog, it's got a lot of good information... http://www.carmexusa.com/pdf/2013-catalog.pdf

Ray

Don't forget just brazing on your own cutters. It's not that hard to do and isn't expensive at all. I bought some silver solder the other day and $30 of solder will probably last years unless I start brazing up something big.

Ray,
I have the Mesa Threading Tool also.
What is the Carmex insert that would fit them?

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3467&category=-147164245

These tools are sold by the Little Machine Shop from AR Warner.
They use HSS inserts and cut very good threads at the speeds that we use for hobby lathes.

I have one of those, very happy with it. I cut mine in two and mounted the two ends in the same holder - internal threading end upside down (I like to do internal threads on the back side, where I can better see it cutting). Just put a half inch spacer under the height adjust nut to get the internal tool up on center.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a 13 x 40 lathe. My first internal threading tool was more or less home made. I used a piece of drill rod as a boring bar, drilled a hole, filed the hole square, and used one of those cheap 1/4" cemented carbide cutting tools. You know those cheap 1/4" red or blue cemented carbide cutting tools on eBay? At first I used a set screw to hold the cutter in place, but it kept coming loose, so I put a spot of MIG weld on the back to hold it.

20160724_214653.jpg

It worked very well, and when I chipped the carbide, I just ground the weld off the back and put a new tool in and welded it again. I started doing more internal threading, and wanted a better tool. I found the Shars internal threading boring bar with carbide inserts. I really like this tool, and it works great.

20160724_214635.jpg

The inserts seem to last pretty well, except when I screw up. There are 3 cutting tips per insert, and I'm still on my second insert.

I learned to cut internal threads by watching Tubalcain's #23 machine shop video over and over (and over!).

Then, just lots of practice!

Best of luck,

GG

Back