Internal grinding of spindles to accept ER collets?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys,

Ok, a little more advanced question.... kind of question someone like Lane, or some of the other experts on here should be able to answer...

Every one of these old US machines seems to have a spindle ground for different tooling, particularly collets- 5c, BS9, 3A, 5V, etc.

ER tooling is more readily available & cheaper...

Has anyone re-ground their spindle to accept ER (ER25) tooling (collets, etc), and if so, what is required? How did you tackle this, in other words? Can this reasonably be done in a home shop, or should it be sent out to a professional grinding place?

Thanks,

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted, I have never done much in the way of bar work, other than a turret lathe job at McEvoy back in '77-78, but I never have seen the draw of collet work. When I build a clock makers lathe, a someday project, it will probably get a collet closer of some sort, but between a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw, I've made literally thousands of parts. A few I built special fixtures for, like bent housings and offset bearing journals, but very little collet work.

I would concede to a collet adapter however. :)

Absolutely, Bill. I've spent countless hours studying watch and clock lathes, and I intend on designing mine to incorporate all the best features from several makes. I will draft it up and publish it when I am finished.

Back