Interesting Tool From The Uk

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just got the latest issue of Model Engineers' Workshop. It includes an ad and an article about a stand-alone end mill sharpener, just announced by Arc Euro Trade. List price (including VAT) is 798GBP, or about $1260. Here's a link to their description page:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...g-Module#EMG-12-End-Mill-Re-Sharpening-Module

080-060-10100-EMG-12-End-Mill-Resharpening-Module-3.jpg

US buyers would probably not be charged VAT, but shipping 7kg (about 15 12 lbs) from there would get pretty expensive. I'm assuming this tool originates in China, so it's likely that the "usual suspects" in the US will eventually have it for sale.

Bottom line, though ... you can buy a whole lot of new end mills for $1260 ... and if you make any kind of hourly $$, this would add to the cost of the resharpening. Might still be of interest to some ...

The cover of MEW shows a lunar scene (complete with astronaut) and the sharpener. The headline reads, "The Module Has Landed!"

PS - I've now read the complete article. Very interesting. The author was on a visit to a Chinese factory and saw that each mill operator had one of these (larger model) by his machine, and sharpened every mill after using it. Takes less than a minute (so my earlier comment about added cost due to time should be ignored).

The cover of MEW shows a lunar scene (complete with astronaut) and the sharpener. The headline reads, "The Module Has Landed!"

PS - I've now read the complete article. Very interesting. The author was on a visit to a Chinese factory and saw that each mill operator had one of these (larger model) by his machine, and sharpened every mill after using it. Takes less than a minute (so my earlier comment about added cost due to time should be ignored).

So the machine only sharpens the ends of the cutter, right ? In that case, maybe your earlier comment is still valid (if the flutes aren't sharpened) :) At any rate it's an interesting concept, as you noted !!

I'm not quite grasping the benefit of only sharpening the END of the end mill. I'll stick to my KO Lee tool and cutter grinder,where I can resharpen everything,sides and bottom.

Koool
A drill doctor on steroids :big grin:
Tomh

Very much so.

As several others have pointed out, it ONLY sharpens the ends of the flutes - like the DD. But unlike drills, mill bits are occasionally asked to cut on their sides ;~)

Back