"Interesting" SB on ebay

Why a joke? It had to be taken apart to move most likely.

South bend made their deep swing series with a compound riser for turning axles with wheels and tires still mounted. I doubt this was one of them but it's of the same style.

The lathe is no joke, but the price sure it. (does have a nice long bed though)

I suggest that the price is a bit optimistic. It may have some value, but I don't think that much.:nuts:

The lathe is no joke, but the price sure it. (does have a nice long bed though)

The condition and price were what I was alluding to. It's a real shame it wasn't taken better care of.

-Ron

In the item description it says “Lathe was being used but needed room in the shop and acquired a smaller lathe.” Used for what? A bird bath lol

At least they kept the moving parts inside...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doing some research on my personal SB, I came across something from L.co.uk mentioning a "blocking" kit tht south bend sold, and let you raise up the headstock, tailstock, and compound to increase the lathe's swing. This was most likely not a stock retrofit.

What a shame to see that old girl girl torn down like that.

I have a Le-blond of similar vintage - 16" x 120". First lathe I ever bought, about 1978. I keep her warm and dry in my barn. First use in years was to build this custom strawberry plant digger. Not often you need a ten foot bed, but nothing else will do when you do need it.

strawberrydiggerright.jpg

Back