Interesting Behavior While Using Fly Cutter

I had crashing of the mill when I forgot to tighten the clamp of Z axis. Vibrations made the mill creep down and finally it was simply too much for the milling cutter to handle. Motor over load acted and saved the mill. The job held in the vise got damaged.

-Prasad

If my z creep it would move out of the work. I just about have to think I didn't have the vice tight enough.

What is CRS? I have to check my fly cutter often to insure it hasn't slipped. I never considered putting something soft between the screw & tool. However I do realize that it is slipping because the screws are hard & so is the tool.

Another thing to watch out for is something that happened to me the other day. I'm not sure what happened but I crashed my mill. I was cleaning up the last side on a piece when the work was pulled up out of my vise, sheared the pin that aligns the R8 collet, & my fly cutter was bent. It did stall the motor but not fast enough. I did have 2/3 of the work above the vice so I don't know if this is what caused it out not.

CRS stands for Cold Rolled Steel. I forgot to mention steel banding would probably be easier to find. At least back in my day if was common material used to ship small bundles of material. Might find some still used lumber yards to hold lumber together while shipping. Search trash bins they likely give it to you.

I sometimes knock the mini mill out of tram a thou or so if i need a nice finish and a slight concave will not matter :eek:.
Also useful if bolting the cut end to another part as the high edges give an almost seamless joint.
Have used flycutters and 3/4"-2" face mills and end mills for this.
John.
This has been practiced for the last 75 years in large manufacturing with face cutting mills, the light cut on the trailing edge rarely leaves a nice finish.
See it here https://books.google.com/books?id=S...epage&q=tilting a face milling cutter&f=false

Thanks for the link to the book Wreck. Nice to see the theory behind the practice.
Just spent over an hour of my Sunday morning (missed church, again!) reading the extract and thought "I need this book", then saw the price and thought again "No I do'nt".
$US 95 would be wasted for the few hours a week I spend at machining.
Better to waste it on a nice bottle of Scotch:rolleyes:.
John.

Back