Installed a new water heater to get shop AC

I think the interval depends on your water quality. I have city water and drain and rinse mine once a year. I always get some sediment out of it.
My process is to first turn off the inlet and outlet valves where they are connected.
I then open the drain and the over temp valve to drain the tank.
Once it is as empty as it will get I open the hot outlet side valve and the highest hot fixture in the house. so that the water from the pipes will drain back into the tank and splash around to try to dislodge more sediment.
I then open the cold in side valve and let that splash around until the drain water is clear.
Close the drain valve, and let the tank fill till the air is out of the house plumbing, once last crack of the over temp valve to flush it out and all is good till next year.

I have never done that or heard of anyone doing it. The one I just replaced was over 20yrs old.

Like I said, it all depends on your water quality. It also depends on the quality of the heater design. Some are more prone to sediment buildup than others. There is no one right answer for everyone.

If I am not mistaken I believe water heaters should be drained but I dont know the interval.
Depends a lot on how hard your water is but rule of them is every 2 to three years and if it is really high hardness with no water softener than annually is a good plan, but if you have a water softener it helps prevent it for longer than a couple years.

Old plumber once told me that if I religiously drain my water heater every year and get all the mineral sediment out, my electric water heater will last 10 to 15 years. But if I am totally lazy and negligent and just ignore the water heater it will last.... 10 to 15 years. My own experience and observations support his claim.

With an electric the heating elements are not in the bottom, so sediment won't hurt much, with gas the heat comes from a flame under the tank, a layer of sediment insulates the water from the heat source, I am not sure how a heat pump water heater works.

With an electric the heating elements are not in the bottom, so sediment won't hurt much, with gas the heat comes from a flame under the tank, a layer of sediment insulates the water from the heat source, I am not sure how a heat pump water heater works.
It has coils extending down into the water from the top.
The brochure also says that it is designed to circulate the water in such a way that sediment doesn't build up. Don't know how much I believe it, but it is in the brochure.

My gas heater says that the water circulation is designed to prevent sediment, but I DO get some out every year when I drain it.

Back