Install a VFD on a Grizzly G0602 10x22 Lathe ?

Allthumbz link=topic=2765.msg21125#msg21125 date=1312653088 said:
Here are the deszigner's comments:

"The box contains the VFD, the original contactor, a terminal strip, a wall wart for the tachometer, and the optional fan. The fan blows air up through the VFD and out a passive vent on the top of the box."

Nelson
His set-up is very similar to what I did on my lathe. The only thing I would have changed in this case, is that I would have moved the passive vent on top of the box to the other side. Anything that might fall into that vent (coolant, swarf, oil, etc.) will drop straight down into the VFD housing itself. Not a good thing to have happen. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
yes mine is converted. used a direct replacement D80 frame lesson motor and teco vfd. as mine is converted to CNC i did not incorporate any of the stock wiring. i have the 3 wires coming from the wall outlet to the VFD and then the 4 wire cable coming from the VFD to the motor. that is really all that is to it for doing it like that.

Im looking at doing the same thing. Did you buy a kit for the CNC or build it yourself? Thanks Mike

any more info on this? where best to find the parts needed for the convert, simple wire drawing for dummies like me?

I just bought a couple of Mitsubishi E520 VFDs to test some 3-phase equipment I recently acquired. Since the equipment probably won't sty, I wanted a quick hookup, non-permanent.

It's really pretty simple.

The application was 220V 1-ph in, 220V 3-ph out.
There are input terminals, output terminals, and ground points.

I bought a 9-ft extension 220 cord from Home Depot for $11, cut off the female end, stripped the 2 power leads and the ground. I soldered terminals to the ends of each to make hookup more secure.
To the input side you attached the two power leads, then attached the ground to the green ground screws. On these it was on the aluminum heatsink/chassis, just below the terminals.

On the output side, you would normally attach the power cable from the 3-ph machine's motor.
You have a ground lead and 3 power leads. The ground attaches as above. The other 3 go to any of the 3 output terminals.

On setup, the default is usually 60-hz. Usually you don't have to do anything else on setup.

To turn it on, you press RUN. To turn it off, you press STOP
To vary the speed, you adjust the HZ: lower the value to slow it down, increase it to speed it up. If the motor is rated at 1725 at 60-HZ, you can run it well in excess of that if you go much over 60 HZ, so be careful with this.

The VFD has a small keyboard to change various functions, such as soft start, braking, and reverse.
There are also a separate set of terminals to attach remote start/stop switch and speed (HZ) rheostat.

It was a pretty short learning curve for me. Had my machines running pretty quickly. I'm sold.

Back