Insight For Proper Lubrication

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
I am almost ready to install new fluids and grease in the No 10 but with no manuals on quantities, I am lost. I have researched info through this site about lubricants but they pertain to the #12 and bigger machines.

I realize the butterhead will need a thick grease like the Chevron SRI-2 Grease, and SAE 30 for the gearbox in the ram. How much grease and oil is needed? I have read about using Mobil 1 634 in the cutter head but is that only in the oil cups for the top and bottom bushing?

Any help on how to lubricate the cutter head would be great since I am new.

I assume you are talking about Van Norman mills?

Yes I am talking about the Van Norman no 10 machine. The cutter head is not like the later versions with sight glasses. There are two oil cups for the top and bottom tapered bronze bushing. I would like to know what type of oil to use for the bronze bushings not just in the cutter head but also in every other oil cup on the machine.

For the spindle use an ISO 32 hydraulic oil (old SAE 10 wt). For all of the other oil cups on the machine, it will depend on what they are oiling. For bearings or bronze bushings, ISO 46 oil. If for ways, use way oil or Mobile Vactra 2.

Anything packed with grease. First remove all of the old grease and flush. Fill with Lubriplate type 830 grease. OR use one of the other Lubriplate products they have. I would not go back with No. 2 grease of any kind, on a machine tool!

Back