Inside Micrometer or T-Bore Hole Gauges?

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Like the title says. Probably opening a can of worms with this question. Decent T-Bore gauges can be had for quite a bit less than a decent inside micrometer, and I think they would fit the bill...?? I have no experience with either, and only some experience with a micrometer, with quite a bit of experience with decent Calipers.

thanks

Like the title says. Probably opening a can of worms with this question. Decent T-Bore gauges can be had for quite a bit less than a decent inside micrometer, and I think they would fit the bill...?? I have no experience with either, and only some experience with a micrometer, with quite a bit of experience with decent Calipers.

thanks

That all depends on the size hole. I use the T style for anything under 3”. Then I use my inside mic for anything larger. Mainly ease of use.

Cutting oil is my blood.

So 2 things:
1- I have both, I've rarely been in a situation where the inside mic has been usable thanks to the minimum size requirement. So I end up using the snap gauges pretty often. When I need to be really accurate, I use a bore gauge set, though I find myself getting better at the snap gauges.

2- DO NOT buy a cheap set of Snap gauges. I used to use a cheap set, and couldn't come close to consistent results. I picked up a cheap set of used Starretts, and my results improved dramatically. There is a ToT video of him going through a cheaper set and cleaning them up (
) which I saw after the fact... you might have luck doing that instead!

Just getting started, but as accurate as I can get, and afford.

I would suggest getting any spring gage set. The important part are accurate micrometers. Not calipers. If you use calipers you might as well use the inside tips of the calipers. Calipers I find good to .003 average either way. It will take a bit of time getting the feel for both the spring T and mics to get accurate results. .0005 is fully doable with a bit of practice.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Interesting replies will inevitably come your way. I have both Starrett and import spring gauges and have used both for over 40 years. I never had an issue with either. As long as they locked. I was good to go. Everyone will have varying results.

In the end it is all what YOU want and want to pay. It is as simple as that. None will give good measurements if care is not taken.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Interesting replies will inevitably come your way. I have both Starrett and import spring gauges and have used both for over 40 years. I never had an issue with either. As long as they locked. I was good to go. Everyone will have varying results.

In the end it is all what YOU want and want to pay. It is as simple as that. None will give good measurements if care is not taken.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Good points, appreciate it.

I find it very difficult to get repeatable results with the T type "snap" gauges. I certainly cannot obtain anything like 5 tenths accuracy. I personally have much better results with an internal mic. The three point bore gauges are better still, but they cover a limited size range and are pricey. They're the bees knees for repeatable results though.

-Pete

Back