insert tooling or brazed carbide

You currently have one of the most useful bars - the SCLCR. It takes CCMT and CCGT inserts; the same bar will take both types. Look for CCMT 32.52 and CCGT 32.52 inserts, or a 32.51 if you want a smaller nose radius. The CCGT -AK inserts are especially useful for cutting aluminum; they have a very positive rake and are very sharp and work okay if you have enough speed. Just remember that carbide inserts require a lot of speed so be sure you know how to calculate rpm. If you cannot go fast enough the tools will still cut but they won't work as well or last as long as they should.

The SSDCN is not that useful, at least for me.

You can also use brazed carbide, sharpened as mentioned. The most useful for you would be an AR-8, grade C5. It is a right hand turning tool that allows you to turn and face almost anything, can be resharpened with a diamond stone and is commonly found. These brazed tools come in all sorts of configurations and you can look them up. I would buy good tools if you choose to use them - Micro 100 bits are some of the best made. Avoid Chinese tooling - too much variability in quality.

HSS works best for lathes that run at speeds of 2400 rpm or below, or that lack rigidity or power. Many hobby lathes just don't run fast enough to use carbide efficiently. As you noted, the problem with HSS is that you have to learn to grind it. While that is not difficult, there is a learning curve so using carbide while you learn to grind tools is fine. You may even find that carbide tooling meets your needs just fine and if that is the case then use it. Just do yourself a favor and at least learn to grind a decent HSS tool so you have a basis for comparison before choosing which tools you'll use.

I think that most of use learn that all of these tools work best for us for certain things, which is why I own all of them. For example, if I have to face cast iron, I will take an old HSS tool and rough off the hard outer layer, then use a brazed carbide tool with a larger nose radius that I hand-grind on it to face the plate at the lowest speed my lathe can run at. This sort of thing comes with time and experience. In the meantime, use what you need to get up and running.

I am very much a beginner. I started grinding HSS cutters just recently for the first time. I gotta say, it is easier than I thought it would be. For the friendly metals that I work with (6061 aluminum, brass 360 and 12L14 steel) the angles are not critical. The online videos and tutorials on grinding make it sound more difficult than it really is. I am sort of shocked at how well my cutters work being that I really did not know what I was doing when I ground them. Boring bars and internal threading tools are another story.

Back