Insert tooling for small lathe

The holder and boring bar from LatheInserts.com that caveBob mentioned are high quality. You can also get HSS inserts from AR Warner that fit them both. They use the same style insert.

For my uses, I think the C shape inserts are a little nicer than the T shape because I find I'm not twisting the toolpost around nearly as much.

As most of you know I have a small 9" southbend. I have always used she's due to cost, ease of sharpening, finish, and just because I think everyone needs to learn how to grind tools and I needed to learn. I have played around with quality brazed carbide bits and have decent results, but I wanted to get some insert tooling for the lathe. Now I know enough to be dangerous with insert tooling and figured I'd ask before jumping into it. I've used them on larger lathes, but never on one this small. What would you guys recommend for a holder set and what insert geometry would you recommend. Keep in mind I am using and AXA tool post which accepts 1/2" max shank tools. Also I want a decent quality set of holders, but don't want to break the bank. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
A very short answer on this, Make your own tooling and you will then have a bit more cash to experiment with new inserts. It's quite an easy project. Have fun.
Smoky

Back