Insert tooling for small lathe

Halligan142

Active User
Registered
As most of you know I have a small 9" southbend. I have always used she's due to cost, ease of sharpening, finish, and just because I think everyone needs to learn how to grind tools and I needed to learn. I have played around with quality brazed carbide bits and have decent results, but I wanted to get some insert tooling for the lathe. Now I know enough to be dangerous with insert tooling and figured I'd ask before jumping into it. I've used them on larger lathes, but never on one this small. What would you guys recommend for a holder set and what insert geometry would you recommend. Keep in mind I am using and AXA tool post which accepts 1/2" max shank tools. Also I want a decent quality set of holders, but don't want to break the bank. Thanks in advance.

+1 on hmans reply. I got the set part no 1669 from LMS, supposed to be phase II, but its not marked on em anywhere. And do get carbide and hss inserts. The hss inserts are easily sharpened and last a good while. I've cut stainless and even cast iron with my hss inerts, taking no more than .010 cuts (.020 total). You won't regret it.

Richard

i just recently made a couple of carbide insert tools for my small lathe I bought the inserts from grizzly and then cut the end of a old
carbide cutter that was half inc shank used the mill to notch it for the cutter drilled and taped to screw in on works great only cost was
the insert about 7 bucks and a screw

I'm using a set similar to this one: http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=carb7pc
I scored some DCMT's WC's off of EBay and use them a lot on my Logan.
Finally sharpened the parting tool one and used that once.

I like what nightowl499 has done up, I should do that with all the smallish inserts I have leftover from auctions...

_Dan

I have been happy with the 3/8" set I got from LMS that use the triangular (TCMT 21.51 21.52) inserts. The inserts are pretty cheap and easy to find. They can handle just about anything you are going to be turning on a small lathe. I like them better than having to mess with stocking a big variety of inserts. They just have 5 different angles for holding the inserts.

I also use the HSS inserts from A.R. Warner in them. The HSS inserts are pretty nice and also very easy to sharpen (just rub them upside down on a hone). They leave a really nice finish but are somewhat lacking in chip control.

Have you considered the turning tool set from AR Warner? In addition to the T-15 HSS inserts they normally use, the 3/8" set will accept TPMT inserts and it works well. For a small lathe, see if you can find an insert with a nose radius around 0.008". The quality of these holders is very good, by the way, and the cost is not outrageous. The advantage is that you will have both HSS and carbide tooling in the same tool set.

A well-ground HSS tool will still beat the heck out of an inserted tip tool on a small lathe, though.

A fellow let me use a indexible tool holder with tcmt 21-51 inserts so i could test drive it so to speak to see if i would like it .

All in all i was happy with how the tool cut and the finish of the cuts ..
I was even happy with having to turn up tue spindle speed to get the tool to work properly .

What i did not like was all the very hot chips flying all willy nilly burning the crap out of me
How ever thats easily solved by making a chip shield from some plexi glass or lexan or something .

Ill stick with hss for now myself .

Back