Input On A multi-meter purchase

I was in a similar position about a year ago, my 40 year old analog meter was starting to show its age. I don't use one everyday, but I want to be able to rely on it. We had Flukes at work, never a bit of trouble with them. After doing the usual internet research I decided on a Fluke 107, not the cheapest one but not pro grade either, looked to do everything that I would need. When it arrived I played around with it, seemed fine. A few weeks later I pulled it to put it to work and it let me down. It kept showing 0 volts on the system that I was troubleshooting, pulled out my old meter and it showed the proper voltage. Jumped on Amazon, the seller that I got from says no returns. No problem, Fluke has a warranty. Nope, in the fine print on the Fluke website the 107 and a couple other models are not supposed to be sold in the US and are not covered by a warranty. I was not a happy camper.

Just a suggestion, get one that has a “ min-max “ feature. It would come in handy if your checking voltage drop say while your starting comes to mind but many more . If you’re tracking a short or open a cable tracker / short finder is handy here’s the one we had at work but they are also sold at HF for under $25 , https://www.powerprobetek.com/product/electronic-circuit-tracer/

For your current need a test light is good, so the cheap H F unit will get the job done and assume 10% error possible.

You are looking for presence of voltage so it meets the current need.

Also, if it gets oily so what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I second the mid-priced Harbor Freight DMM for your use. I have both cheap and expensive DMMs. For accurate resistance measurements, I use the expensive meters - for continuity and simple voltage readings, I use the closest one (usually the cheap HP versions). I've got a few of the HF "freebie DMM" that I have had for years that still work just fine (it's best to replace the cheap battery that comes with the unit with a better alkaline version - the cheap battery will quite often leak and destroy the meter).

A 3-1/2 digit display is more than enough accuracy for the everyday user, so stay away from more digit meters (they are proportionally more expensive). As for my qualifications, I have been an Electrical Engineer for 40+ years.

P.S. Harbor Freight no longer gives free stuff.

A Fluke 365 multimeter with remote amp clamp is a good all purpose multimeter. I use them on the job. Have a few cheap ones at home. Don't trust them 100% but that OK for a lot of what I do. They do tend to be less physically rugged.

Well I went with a cheap $30 version with alligator clips. This is mostly for continuity checking safety switches and battery voltage on the zero turn. One of them dont work and it wont run. Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Too late for my thoughts to count now. But as a rule, I strongly dislike digital meters. But have several, they do come in handy with polarity problems. Reverse polarity will 'bend the needle' in short order. For vehicular use such as your original post, what you are looking for is a 'go, no go' situation. Is the signal there, or not. For that, the most expensive Fluke has no further advantage over the HF cheapie than life expectancy. But for $10 or $20 bux, if it quits, get another. Actually, get another now , take the battery out, and put the box on a shelf so you have one when needed.

I need to buy a multi-meter to track down an electrical issue with a Zero Turn mower. Any suggestions on a meter. I dont want to spend $300 but I think the $20 china special cant be anything but junk. If I am buying one it would be nice to have all the features a descent meter should incorporate.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rick
Amprobe will give you a good meter and cost less than fluke. Made in Taiwan. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233952019293?epid=2254367380&hash=item3678a0835d:g:zW0AAOSw291gZ3ZR .

Fluke. I bought one new 30+ years ago, still use it. Have 2-3 used from e-bay in various other locations. I have had several cheap or RS versions I paid $$ for. They are no longer around.

You could easily use a HF free one to fix your mower. But longer term spend some $$ on a Fluke.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back