Input On A multi-meter purchase

I have a collection of over a hundred mostly analog, and mostly military, multi meters. But my main goto meter is usually a cheap digital HF, or other cheap meter. They are cheap enough to keep one in every vehicle, and every corner. Fo most of my needs, accurate enough. (Most I tested, are within 1/10 of a volt.

I purchased a used Fluke which was in the “hard blown Plastic case” …all original Fluke in like new condition. Got it on EBay and it came with the Fluke clamp amp meter . I think the VOM is a Fluke 117
Anyway it’s by far the very best Volt Ohm meter I’ve ever owned. I’ve had a few Home Depot specials and some Snap On meters. Snappy is still working but it’s just obsolete at this point and the Home Depot meters just were crap. Every one of those started giving me intermittent readings due to the poor quality of the female sockets on the meter.

I love the Fluke. Even though mine is made in Singapore, it’s top quality in my opinion

Yes, I know he already made his purchase....
ONE THING to remember what ever voltage or current your measuring is running through those leads and into that meter......
You want to go cheap it's your risk.

Way too late here, but If you can afford it, Fluke - Just be aware that the overcurrent fuses are $$$, so be careful.

For the budget minded, UNIT-T meters are just as good and 1/3 the price. I've used dozens of meters over my career, and these are the only 2 options that I'd recommend.

I was about to say, I had this one on CL but nobody by me was interested. If anyone else wants it $20 plus SFR box.
Gardner Bender GCM-221 with line splitter. Used only a few times.
Aaron
If it's not OK to put it here I'll move it to 'for sale'

DSCF4489.JPGDSCF4490.JPG

I tested one of the free HF CenTech multimeters against a DC voltage standard. It was amazingly accurate = within a few millivolts. My Tektronix DMM was only slightly better - insignificant difference really. Similarly, ohms and DC amperes were very accurate. AC measurements are a subject all in themselves. Power company waveforms are not sinusoidal, and different meters will give different readings.

But I would not recommend high voltage measurements on the poorly insulated HF meter.

In a past life we did dc plant power as well as cell site work.

We had a HF unit we used for "voltage indicating" where accuracy did not matter and the Fluke where it did.

The HF unit was off at 6 to 8 percent which for checking for voltage is close enough but adjusting the 48 volt dc plant where it needs to float at 54 volts and not 55 it matters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I would buy an inexpensive Fluke.
I think I saw the model 113 for about 150 dollars.
I have used and abused many brands of meters and a Fluke will take a tumble and still work accurately. There is also the safety factor of a well built meter and leads.
If anything should happen Fluke can repair and calibrate.
Or one of t
I need to buy a multi-meter to track down an electrical issue with a Zero Turn mower. Any suggestions on a meter. I dont want to spend $300 but I think the $20 china special cant be anything but junk. If I am buying one it would be nice to have all the features a descent meter should incorporate.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rick

I need to buy a multi-meter to track down an electrical issue with a Zero Turn mower. Any suggestions on a meter. I dont want to spend $300 but I think the $20 china special cant be anything but junk. If I am buying one it would be nice to have all the features a descent meter should incorporate.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rick
You can get too cheap on a multi meter. Those cheaper Harbor Freight meters aren't accurate and can get you hurt on higher voltage stuff. Fluke makes a Fluke 101 for about 60 bucks on Amazon that's a pretty nice meter. Plenty good enough for anything you'd want to do around the house or to trouble shoot your vehicles, machines etc. It's a Chinese Fluke. I use to keep 2 meters at work; a less than $100 meter for every day stuff and and a high end Fluke in the truck for when I needed precise measurements.

Back