Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor Air Cooler Missing

Joe0121

Active User
Registered
A while back I bought a used Ingersoll rand 5hp 2 stage air compressor. This happened to coincide with me moving so it was taken apart to it's major components and store in the garage at the new house for a few months. I'm finally getting around to it and found a missing part.

What is missing looks like a car radiator and associated tubing from the head to the tank. I assume this was meant to cool the air before it entered the tank so the water condenses at the bottom of the tank.

Can I just run a new tube from the head to the tank and bypass this or do I need to replace it or make my own say from galvanized pipe?

20151101_173743.jpg 20151101_173813.jpg 20151101_173821.jpg 20151101_173824.jpg

It will work without the cooler, but not as well. As hot air cools down, it loses some of its pressure. If the air in the tank is hot, by the time it goes through piping and hose to the tool it will have lost significant pressure. The air also condenses the water in it at it cools. Better to condense in the tank than in the tool piping.

It will work without the cooler, but not as well. As hot air cools down, it loses some of its pressure. If the air in the tank is hot, by the time it goes through piping and hose to the tool it will have lost significant pressure. The air also condenses the water in it at it cools. Better to condense in the tank than in the tool piping.
OK thats what I was thinking. I may try to rig something up using galvanized pie but I will need to buy new piping and i'm sure that wont be cheap or easy

It will take a lot of pipe to do the job, but it will work. You could also use a coil of refrigeration tubing, still not cheap, but maybe easier. Any radiator that can take the pressure will work. It can be remote from the compressor, but will then not have the moving air and will be less efficient. You might be able to find used a real compressor radiator that you can make fit on Ebay or elsewhere.

Edit: Remember that you need to drain all low points.

The humidity in the ambient air is going to find its way to the bottom of your air tank as water no matter what is going on with the compressor and or its plumbing. I see you still have the finned line from the first stage to the second. You could coil up some copper pipe for the missing. Maybe search fleabay for a replacement? Call the factory for replacement? Good Luck, Dave.

The humidity in the ambient air is going to find its way to the bottom of your air tank as water no matter what is going on with the compressor and or its plumbing. I see you still have the finned line from the first stage to the second. You could coil up some copper pipe for the missing. Maybe search fleabay for a replacement? Call the factory for replacement? Good Luck, Dave.
I have e-mail ingersoll and not gotten a response. The fitting appear to be 3/4 pipe thread and it had 3/4 tubing so not cheap.

I have a similar situation with a compressor I am messing with. I planned on welding about a thousand flat washers to a piece of tubing between the second stage outlet and the tank. But that's just me.

On my compressor there is a cooling tube between the first and second stage pumps. You should be able to buy the parts at a service company, that style compressor has been around for years. I wouldn't run it with out the cooling hooked up.

On my compressor there is a cooling tube between the first and second stage pumps. You should be able to buy the parts at a service company, that style compressor has been around for years. I wouldn't run it with out the cooling hooked up.
Is there one you can recommend?

I have a similar situation with a compressor I am messing with. I planned on welding about a thousand flat washers to a piece of tubing between the second stage outlet and the tank. But that's just me.
I mean I will be using this for sand blasting and cerakoat and occasionally running an impact so I don't think I need max performance I just don't have tools for dealing with tubing.

Back