Inexpensive Covers for Bridgeport Table & Ways

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As I don't use my mill on a daily basis, I didn't see the need for accordion type way covers. Instead, I cut 1/16" thick rubber sheets to fit on either side of my vise on the table, and the Y axis ways in several different positions. After a drilling or milling session, I can simply dump the chips and replace the rubber on the mill. The rubber comes in 12" x 24" strips for $16 each from McMaster-Carr.

Attachments

• Covers3.jpg
    Covers3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
I use sheet magnets. My wife bought the stock to cover a few registers in the house. Work well as they stick to the table and though magnetic, don't accumulate a huge number of chips. They're easy to cut with a scissors for a tight fit to the vise.

Bruce

An alternative (and inexpensive) source of way covers is the bathtub and shower membrane available from big box stores. It's heavy vinyl, comes in ~48" wide rolls, and sold by the foot.

I have yet to get the chance, but I intend to pick up a stall mat from Tractor Supply. 1" rubber. A bit of work to cut to size.

Chips are easier to pick up with a magnet off the rubber sheet than they are off the bare table. That way with any covering I guess.

Back