Industrial Arts Teacher Looking for help with curriculum

For the video game /social media crowd you're going to need something that progresses quickly and produces a tangible result NOW!! This becomes difficult when there is not a machine for every student because a lot of them will just me milling around playing grab ass while they wait for the lathe to open up. Making a part as simple as a hammer takes a while even for an experienced machinist and they know exactly how to do the job. The learning curve is steep. I consider myself a reasonably accomplished amateur and I'm always amazed at how long some things take. This problem is compounded by the likelihood that you have 50 minute class periods so any machine will only get about half an hour of actual work time, if you're lucky. Ten minutes of lecture time and where's my part, the tool is dull etc.. Half an hour of groping through the actual machining and then ten minutes of the requisite clean up. Many parts benefit greatly from being made in one set up and so taking your incomplete flywheel out of the chuck will, potentially, be a problem when you set it up next time because it won't be concentric anymore. So, for each part there's a preferred sequence which can take that into account. You should try to figure that out in advance.
Shoot low. Pick a very simple project that can be completed.At the same time, it has to be interesting to do. Not too exciting to make a hammer when you know you can buy one for $5. I wouldn't shoot for anything more complex than a wobbler steam (air) engine. There are dozens of designs out there and there are material kits you can buy which simplifies things a lot. Whatever you pick you will need to have made one yourself before there's a hope of teaching someone else how to do it.
Introduce some competition if you can. Closest match to the drawing. Best finish. Earliest finish. Whatever. I coached a kid via E-mail a couple of years ago who was in a college class to design and build an air driven motor that would drive a generator to produce an amount of electricity. Pretty complex and most of the kids in the class never finished (mine did) because there just wasn't enough time to figure it all out and then do it if you've never done it before. The competition was to see whose engine was the closest to the target output. Not much competition if only a couple of the projects get finished.

If you're looking for a specific project to make, here's a nice project that would keep a new student occupied for a few hours at least... The nice thing is that it' a useful tap handle. I've got one that I made 40 years ago... If you don't have a knurling tool, just have the students dig some fine grooves on the lathe.

TapV-Block.jpgTapHandleASM.jpgTapHandle.jpgTH12.JPG

TapHandle.jpg TapHandleASM.jpg TapV-Block.jpg TH12.JPG

I was an Industrial arts teacher (now called tech ed) for many years and I had the kids make a project very similar to bluechips hammer project. Actually I started with a center punch from 3/8 drill rod that was knurled and tapered, then torch hardened. We then went to a ball peen hammer a little difference than his. The handle was aluminum, tapered and knurled with a hollow handle with a cap and it excepted the previously made center punch. Instead of a screwed handle, they always loosen when being used, we pressed the handle into the head and it was pinned. A small countersink in the head allowed the pin to be peaned and filled and when done properly the pin was nearly invisible. Before the handle was pressed into the head, the head was case hardened using a product called Kasinite. Scale measurement and micrometer use was emphasized throughout these projects.

After these two projects were done, the student was allowed to move to a project of their choice (that choice was decision between the student and I) usually moving to a more complicated project driven by their interests. There are several good project books that have some neat projects like tap handles and vises but often the student had a good project idea from something he did or needed at home.

Bill

once my teachers knew me i had free run of all my classes..wood , machine..just built what ever i wanted and got my A ;-)

with no teaching experience myself, other than being a father, i really like the last posters idea. if they pick a project, it will be more interesting to them. you oversee their decision to keep them from choosing something too easy. i really wish my school would have had metal shop when i attended.

I am an industrial arts teacher and I am looking for highschool curriculum for a machining program. We currently have two lathes and a shoddy mill but are gearing up to purchase some very good used machines. (I am very lucky to be part of this growing program.) I am very knowledgeable about teaching and fairly knowledgeable about the machines. I am looking for examples of curriculum to help me write a program that fits the needs of our students. ANY help would be very appreciated. -Dan

Dan,

I have a cousin and a friend who Shop teachers. God Bless all of you who try to teach High School Students. Half want to be there and the rest are assigned. I had a Great Machine Shop teacher in the 1960's. I only wish I had the full two year course. My hat is off to you. Keep them motivated and safe from harm.

For the video game /social media crowd you're going to need something that progresses quickly and produces a tangible result NOW!! This becomes difficult when there is not a machine for every student because a lot of them will just me milling around playing grab ass while they wait for the lathe to open up. Making a part as simple as a hammer takes a while even for an experienced machinist and they know exactly how to do the job. The learning curve is steep. I consider myself a reasonably accomplished amateur and I'm always amazed at how long some things take. This problem is compounded by the likelihood that you have 50 minute class periods so any machine will only get about half an hour of actual work time, if you're lucky. Ten minutes of lecture time and where's my part, the tool is dull etc.. Half an hour of groping through the actual machining and then ten minutes of the requisite clean up. Many parts benefit greatly from being made in one set up and so taking your incomplete flywheel out of the chuck will, potentially, be a problem when you set it up next time because it won't be concentric anymore. So, for each part there's a preferred sequence which can take that into account. You should try to figure that out in advance.
Shoot low. Pick a very simple project that can be completed.At the same time, it has to be interesting to do. Not too exciting to make a hammer when you know you can buy one for $5. I wouldn't shoot for anything more complex than a wobbler steam (air) engine. There are dozens of designs out there and there are material kits you can buy which simplifies things a lot. Whatever you pick you will need to have made one yourself before there's a hope of teaching someone else how to do it.
Introduce some competition if you can. Closest match to the drawing. Best finish. Earliest finish. Whatever. I coached a kid via E-mail a couple of years ago who was in a college class to design and build an air driven motor that would drive a generator to produce an amount of electricity. Pretty complex and most of the kids in the class never finished (mine did) because there just wasn't enough time to figure it all out and then do it if you've never done it before. The competition was to see whose engine was the closest to the target output. Not much competition if only a couple of the projects get finished.

What you say is true, but,,,,, if the students are running around playing grab ass, you kick them out the class until your numbers are down to a manageable level. Otherwise, what you ever going to do that all of them can participate in at once? With only a couple or three machines, and figuring one or two doing layout work you're only keeping 5 students 'entertained'. They need to know from the get go, that the class won't tolerate horseplay, it is dangerous and they either play by the rules or get out.

In college we often had 2 person 'teams', we watched, helped and learned with the same partner all year long. This concept was used in almost all labs, from chemistry to engineering to 'industrial arts'. Using this approach and 5 'stations' to work with your class size could be 10. Anymore and I say you'll have a safety issue no matter what. Its going to be impossible for one teacher to watch/supervise more than that.

Now if the administration isn't willing to work with the teacher on this, then the class is doomed, plain and simple. There is no way to 'babysit' students in a shop environment.

Back