Indexing head?

Thank you sir. After what seemed to be an adequate amount of tapping I turned my attention to the end opposite the center. The large knob turned so I proceeded to fully unscrew it and found it was internally threaded and the center was attached to something that resembled a miniature R8 collet but threaded like a 5C. Is this one of those B&S tapers I’ve read of but never seen? Now it tapped out. The tapered spindle with center is keyed in. The collar was removed and the thread is 1.5-16. Guess if I want to attach a chuck I’ll need to make a backing plate.

The taper of the center may conform to B&S standards; however I believe the part itself is specific to whoever made the indexing head. As far as I know B&S only made threaded centers with an internal thread at the rear. They never made any with the flared end similar to an R8 or used a keyway to prevent rotation. I have an older horizontal mill that uses a B&S #9 tapered arbor. it has the internal thread.

My LW Chuck Co. 11" dividing head uses a B&S #10 tapered center. It's just the standard dead center with no internal or external threading on the rear, and no keyway to prevent rotation. One of the accessories that could be purchased was a collet drawbar and sleeve that would accommodate 4C collets.

It looks my Van Norman 7" dividing head, the taper is specific to Van Norman machines.

Back