Independent vs self-centering 4 jaw chucks: advice?

I think the 4 jaw would be a much better choice. You can't hold rectangles or make eccentric shafts with a scroll 4 jaw
And just like anything, the more points of contact, the better - right?

Plus - there really isn't anything a 3 jaw can hold that a 4 jaw can't, right?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

IMO, there is value to both an independent and a scroll chuck for every lathe. I would suggest getting 1 of each! Typically folks get a 3 or 6 jaw scroll-chuck, and the 4 jaw independent. Unless you are going to be holding square stock A LOT, there is no good reason to have an 4 jaw scroll chuck.

I find myself needing to do it rarely enough that dialing it in is not that big of a deal. However, the affordability of a decent 3 jaw scroll chuck, mixed with how more often I turn round stock in cases where a scroll chuck works (that is, when concentricity against the existing diameter doesn't matter) means living without one would be tougher.

IMO, there is value to both an independent and a scroll chuck for every lathe. I would suggest getting 1 of each! Typically folks get a 3 or 6 jaw scroll-chuck, and the 4 jaw independent. Unless you are going to be holding square stock A LOT, there is no good reason to have an 4 jaw scroll chuck.

I find myself needing to do it rarely enough that dialing it in is not that big of a deal. However, the affordability of a decent 3 jaw scroll chuck, mixed with how more often I turn round stock in cases where a scroll chuck works (that is, when concentricity against the existing diameter doesn't matter) means living without one would be tougher.
If I'm correct it might be a question of cost. And yes I agree having both is a plus. Thanks

If I'm correct it might be a question of cost. And yes I agree having both is a plus. Thanks
Sure, I don't have a good idea of what the cost limitations here are... but I WILL say, a 'cheap' 4 jaw independent is likely going to be pretty good, I find the chinese imports are pretty good for a 4 jaw, when you spend more money you seem to get 'less runout' on scroll chucks, which obviously doesn't matter in a 4 jaw.

Sure, I don't have a good idea of what the cost limitations here are... but I WILL say, a 'cheap' 4 jaw independent is likely going to be pretty good, I find the chinese imports are pretty good for a 4 jaw, when you spend more money you seem to get 'less runout' on scroll chucks, which obviously doesn't matter in a 4 jaw.
I fully agree with what you say about the import 4 jaw.

Cost isn't necessarily an issue, availability is. These micro lathes were made in Austria in the 1960s, and nowadays every piece of them gets the 'vintage' label slapped on them so the price goes up.

I'm just lucky I got the basic kit for cheap, or I'd consider selling it and going with a taig.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back