"Inching" feature on my lathe for threading to a shoulder?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Might this feature be used to "sneak up" on the shoulder when threading to a shoulder, or would it be ill advised?

As in run the spindle until getting close to the shoulder, then turn off the spindle, then "inch" into the shoulder?

My lathe doesn't seem to have much if any coast, after turning off the spindle.

Disengage feed and feed by hand to the shoulder. Or don't I understand the question?

Not advised, stopping and starting a machine while tool is engaged in a cut is not good for tool and will often result in tool breakage, especially carbide tips.

Inching is often used in checking a set up, particularly on large jobs that might be off centre and unbalanced, also to make sure everything is clear, if too hard to turn by hand.

Why do you feel the need to thread all the way to the shoulder?

You could run the lathe in reverse and use a left hand threading tool. Safest way to thread to a shoulder without worry of smashing tool.

I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos of threading to a shoulder and hadn't seen that idea! Would the tool be right side up and cutting on the back side of the work?

One video showed a boring bar intended for internal turning, but cutting external threads on the back side of the work, with tool right-side-up and lathe running in reverse.

Another guy used normal external threading cutting tools and setup, but manually turned his spindle while cutting.

Clever ideas.

Last edited:
Why do you feel the need to thread all the way to the shoulder?

Don't need to get all the way to the shoulder, but close without fear of crashing.

I'm think some of the lathe-in-reverse ideas are just the ticket.

Back