In search of Bridgeport head for round ram base

ironwrx

Registered
Registered
Hi. I just acquired a base (table,column, knee etc.) of a Bridgeport mill. I believe it’s a 1950; serial No. BH11576. I am looking for a head to complete my mill. One end of the ram has a flange with threaded bolt holes that appear to be 4-11/16 c to c, side to side, and 3-3/4 c to c, up and down. There is a round boss in the center of the ram 3” diameter. The other end of the ram has a shouldered boss with a single hole going vertically.
What kind of head will work with this ram? I read that “M” heads are less desirable, will other heads fit? What is a reasonable price to pay for a head? Does anyone know where I can get one?
41ca6fda56385300d3d439938b7474a8.jpeg

ee6a4003f3412671796bbfb9f3331c9f.jpg

51cdfa5bba02e2d8a875c633d8eb1687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The M head woukd fit on the rear of the ram that has the flat portion, also the shaping head fits on there,

I have a round ram with a J head, that is the way I received it.

Does the “J” head mount with 4 bolts on the flange end, or the other end like the shaping head?

I've seen M heads for around 500$ on Ebay

M heads are not very highly regarded from what I’ve read. , but I would use one if I couldn’t find something else that would work. There’s one not too far away on marketplace I could get for $250. Is it worth it?

For basic milling and drilling a M head is fine. If you want to swing a large boring head you want the J
The M heads came with a variety of spindle tapers- most will limit the tooling shank size at 1/2" IIRC

250.00 for a head alone is pretty cheap.
Is it a step pulley or variable speed head?
It probably will need repair.

For basic milling and drilling a M head is fine. If you want to swing a large boring head you want the J
The M heads came with a variety of spindle tapers- most will limit the tooling shank size at 1/2" IIRC

First of all, I am mainly trying to just get this machine up and running. I have no other vertical mill. I do, however have a Kearney-Trecker horizontal mill with 50 taper tooling, so I’m not looking to do heavy hogging work with this. What does IIRC mean?

Back